Braced front fender

JOHNDADDY

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have a late1975 and have seen a lot of 75s with the braced front fender but not mine. Is this a mid year change or a mod?
I love the old school look and the sturdiness of it. Would I have to change forks for the lower mounts or is there a mod?
Planning.
Thanks

Weekend went wat to fast, I did not get a chance to measure diameter, will convert to sae and measure when I get out of work. I do not see any way to mount a braced fender.

1702921160335.png

1702921174635.png

as such
1702921530753.png

:umm:

I don't know about the caliper. It's said that early two (moving) piston caliper brakes very well, maybe even better than the later single piston unit.

Thank you All for the input. Musta been done by the PO, the bike was set up as a full dresser when I got it
hard faring and boxes, king queen and large sissy bar.

I’ve thought about the need of a fork brace on the 77 up 35mm forks plenty over years.
Once even cut a fender down which was more work than anticipated.
I’ve had old experienced dirt track racers tell me they never used a fork brace as it wasn’t necessary?

I’ve had old experienced dirt track racers tell me they never used a fork brace as it wasn’t necessary?
Dirt track racers didn't have to contend with the twisting moment created by a single disk brake trying to twist the forks.
That was more pronounced with the 34mm tubes than the 35, but it's there in both.

old experienced dirt track racers
I don’t think that’s the same as canyon carving on pavement.
There are indeed a lot of folks who think they need a fork brace, but they don’t. The one in the fender does the job for most.
@grizld1 probably wrote how to test the need someplace in this forum.

I could get tubing and a p clamps for the fender but how to secure to to the lowers??? and the fender looks larger than mine or is that just an optical?

1703013568934.png

I don't know about the caliper. It's said that early two (moving) piston caliper brakes very well, maybe even better than the later single piston unit.
Definitely better. The earlier caliper was also used on 73-78 RD350 and 400, as well as the TZ250, 350 and TZ500 roadracers. It has two 48 mm pistons, where the 77 onwards XS caliper has a single 38 mm piston. With a 12-14 mm master cylinder, even a single disc setup is a great brake. The only reason for changing to the later caliper must have been cost. Also, the later one piece disc is a cheaper, simpler setup than the 73-76 two piece disc.

If you just want a different look, but not necessarily the exact stock look, you could try to make something similar to some 70s Honda models, see attached picture.
... or the early XS650's.
Might be a real bear to fit, but nothings impossible. ;)

1703023063441.png

Back