Braced front fender

Definitely better. The earlier caliper was also used on 73-78 RD350 and 400, as well as the TZ250, 350 and TZ500 roadracers. It has two 48 mm pistons, where the 77 onwards XS caliper has a single 38 mm piston. With a 12-14 mm master cylinder, even a single disc setup is a great brake. The only reason for changing to the later caliper must have been cost. Also, the later one piece disc is a cheaper, simpler setup than the 73-76 two piece disc.
There’s also unsprung weight. If you care about that, the later caliper weighs less. Also, before 1976, the caliper was mounted on the front of the fork. It was moved to the rear to improve handling.

Now, if you are not concerned about these things, why not install a front end from a 1976 or earlier bike? I believe that will get you what you want most.

If you just want a different look, but not necessarily the exact stock look, you could try to make something similar to some 70s Honda models, see attached picture.
If I can't find a way to get the stock look, that is probably the route I will take. Thanks

There’s also unsprung weight. If you care about that, the later caliper weighs less. Also, before 1976, the caliper was mounted on the front of the fork. It was moved to the rear to improve handling.

Now, if you are not concerned about these things, why not install a front end from a 1976 or earlier bike? I believe that will get you what you want most.
Absolutely that would be the perfect solution, but costly for a mostly aesthetic thing. I think I'd rather put cash into a new top end. I am still searching locally for a donor bike if I can find one for a decent price. Forks, fender, tank, shocks, kickstand and anything else I may be able to scavenge. I'm not afraid to fix things but if I can swap it would save me more time to build. Thinking a fifties kind of look??? Thanks.

DSCN0481.JPG
DSCN0482.JPG
DSCN0483.JPG
DSCN0479.JPG

Drill baby drill, nice. Years ago it wasn't a problem getting a gov't job through the plant but now that we are corporate Calif that sort of thing is frowned upon. I'd have to drill by hand, luckily I can get my hands on some nice bit lol.

Drilling the porky stock 7mm thick disc full of holes doesn't save much weight, barely a quarter pound. I was surprised, I thought it would be more. Switching to a 5mm thick disc from some other Yamaha model like the SR500 will save a bit more, about 1.5 pounds. I have an SR500 disc on one of mine but honestly, I don't notice any difference in the handling. I guess the weight savings isn't enough to make a difference. But it's still worth drilling your disc for the braking improvement it gives. You'll get slightly better braking under all conditions, both wet and dry, not to mention it looks cool, lol .....

NewWheelMounted6.jpg

For the desired look, and the best caliper placement, a 76 fork would definitely be the best option.

Back