minton mod question forks

Yes, I just enlarged the existing 4 holes and did not add any more. I used a #1 drill bit, slightly smaller than a 1/4". I happen to have them from work and figured I could always go bigger if need be. I'm quite happy with the results. This mod really improves the fork action for day to day normal riding. It makes them much more supple and responsive to the little road irregularities. It doesn't seem to hinder high speed and aggressive riding either although I can't say I notice any vast improvements there.

Joe Minton was on the staff of Motorcyclist and probably working on several articles at once. Obviously, he got a bit confused here and may have been thinking about one of the other bikes he was working on at the moment.

0CcHQdx.jpg

Last edited:
Something else you can do is polish the damper rod with some 600 paper. It only takes a couple minutes and may improve fork action a bit more .....

2oE3Jzu.jpg

I got this idea from a '77 fork set I was working on. That was the 1st year of the 35mm forks and apparently Yamaha took a little more care when assembling them as I found polished damper rods right from the factory. I've yet to find any polished in a later fork set. Yamaha probably eliminated this step as a cost cutting measure but it's very easy to implement yourself.

Last edited:
The type of tool differs depending on the year of your forks.

Back