Miss November XS2 tribute

Anybody have experience of taking the sump off with oil in the engine?

Being lazy, thought I might swap sumps, put the Smedspeed one on the 2F0 before that goes in the bike. But the 2F0 is full of engine oil and sitting on the garage table - not easy to drain. Musing that if I roll the engine back, so the cylinder is horizontal and the engine number stamp is pointing to the ceiling, the oil level might be below the sump.

Just a thought.

Anybody have experience of taking the sump off with oil in the engine?

Being lazy, thought I might swap sumps, put the Smedspeed one on the 2F0 before that goes in the bike. But the 2F0 is full of engine oil and sitting on the garage table - not easy to drain. Musing that if I roll the engine back, so the cylinder is horizontal and the engine number stamp is pointing to the ceiling, the oil level might be below the sump.

Just a thought.
Yeah That should work fine.
Does the smedspeed stick down more?

Does the smedspeed stick down more?

Only a tad:

PICT1921.JPG

The engine is a tight fit into the frame. It may not want to go in with that oil filter sticking out the bottom like that. It certainly won't make it any easier, lol.

Thank you, a very good point. Having a filter hanging down ain't going to help swinging the engine in.

Plus, fitting the filter - it has to be filled with oil before installing - not easy with the engine on its back. So, engine will be fitted 'as is' and the sump swap will be done at a later date.

Machine, the Honda NX250 is mine. Up for sale - yours for £2000, but a long way to come from Washington state. It's a brilliant little bike. Light, handles, ever-eager engine. If you read Chris Scott's Adventure Motorcycling Handbook, the little NX ticks all the boxes. Ideal for a trip round the world.

Last edited:
It sure looks nice and clean Raymond.

...and yes, I would drain your existing engine and remove the filter before trying to swap it - as people have said, it goes in from the right side and it is a fairly tight fit.

It's a good point, Gentlemen. I don't need to remove the sprocket but once I lob that engine in it would be a Good Idea to check it's tight.

Hey Raymond.. I see that red clutch rod seal..
Never saw a red one before. Who did dat? Lol
Other gaskets seem original ?

Dunno.
Didn't find a gasket when I took the l/h cover off but the cover had only been loosely refitted - seller had the cover removed in some of the photos on ebay. I would be surprised if somebody has changed that clutch rod seal - anybody ever seen a red one?

Red ones were originals, I've seen quite a few. And a note on the cam bushings. Originals from MikesXS are $5 or $6 each, and you need four. That would cost you over $20. I picked up some standard metric bushings from McMaster-Carr for a fraction of that, about $3 a pair .....

7UbhJr4.jpg

This was in anticipation of someday possibly needing them in an '80 or newer cam for an aftermarket electronic ignition install.

Thanks 5T - as I sit here reading your post, Mrs just called to say the postman has been.

He brought these little chaps:

PICT2105.JPG

Labyrinth seal, prt no 256-11155-00, 2-off. From Knetzgau no less.

They look shorter than the bushes you have? Probably just need to tap them in flush with the ends of the camshaft. Using my plastic desk ruler, the dimensions seem to match your bushes.

Will go and see if they fit.

Yes, that is the later style alternator for the electronic ignition models.

You will need to determine whether your new combined reg/rec contains an A or B type regulator to know if it will work with the new style stator. Aftermarket combined units are made both ways.

Now there's the rub.

Have sent a mail to China but not too sure if there will be a reply. Any way I can check?

Minor job but one which could have gone wrong.

Fitted bushes, one to each end of the camshaft.

PICT2106.JPG

PICT2107.JPG

Bushes in the freezer for a few hours. No gas left in blow torch so applied an electric heat gun. Jubilee clip placed over end of camshaft to give the rubber seal some protection. Heat till the far end of the shaft feels warm. Lick of oil. Press the cold bush into the end of the shaft and gently drive home with a socket extension and a rubber mallet.

It could have gone wrong. Too much heat might have damaged the seals. But my biggest worry was that a bush goes halfway in and gets stuck. Might be near impossible to get it back out without damaging it. How do I know these jobs can go wrong? Triumph gearbox needle roller bearing - the memory still makes me shudder.

I believe those will stay put. The Boyer Bransden threaded rod should slip though and tighten up with the inner bushes they provide.

Back