Miss order at work = YAY ME!!

tigman175

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Our purchasing agent at work miss ordered 50' of pipe and it would cost just as much to ship back as it did cost to buy. So i now have hardtail material!! Its 3/4" schedule 40 ERW which measures about 1 1/16 OD .115ish wall. I know people prefer DOM but the stock frame is ERW so whats it even matter???

nice one. get some axle plates from travis

I actually am going to cut them at work. Along w tig welding i run our cnc laser so the next saturday i work is gonna involve a little "me time" lol. I was throwing around the idea of making some hardtails on the side. I seen that some places have up to a 6 week wait!!! people cant wait that long so i might make a few if people seem interested. Ive been tig welding 13 years and have multiple certifications. Im in the process of making myself a jig right now.

I wouldn't use the pipe. Pipe is rated for pressure and is intended to convey fluids or gases. Tube is meant for structural things. Pipes are for plumbers. Your frame isn't conveying fluid or gas and is a structure holding the motorcycle together = use tubing. Sch 40 gives you the wall thickness of the pipe... If you are going to use it, I would at least determine the composition of the pipe and try to find some specifications on the strength of the pipe you have vs ERW tube or DOM tube. :twocents:

Another thing to keep in mind is bending the pipe. If you have a tube bender, you'll need a different die for the pipe.

That's a good find, but I too have to be a little hesitant about using ERW pipe in a stressed application. SCCA along with just about every other race sanction organization won't allow the use of ERW in roll bars because it can and will split along the seam. Not a good thing. I had a 3rd gen Mazda RX7 with a 4 point roll bar made of ERW and you could see the paint splitting along the seam. :yikes:

Back