Missing cylinder head cover sleeves??

CaptainB

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am rebuilding the top end of a friends bike using a donor motor that I had in the shop. The donor looks to be in great shape and possibly original but when I removed the cover there were no sleeves and o-rings? Has anyone heard of certain models without sleeves or sleeves being removed for any reason?

No, I've never heard of them missing or not being used. They were installed on all years/models.

race_pic.jpg
Thanks! that's what I've always thought but I haven't had my hands inside XS in several years.

You're asking about this in two threads. I could be wrong, but I think my '81 doesn't have them. I got the o-rings in the top gasket kit I got, and there was none present on the bike and no obvious place to put them. After lots and lots of reading and looking at pictures I convinced myself that the later years didn't use them. Or it could have been a dream. At any rate, I'm running fine without them. I think.

If you have the original and the donor, and the original has them and the donor has no place for them to go, there's your answer. Or -- put up pictures of the head in this thread and let people point out where they're supposed to go.

Might fit mine too :) Unless they're very hard to notice when installed I don't have them. I got the bike at 17,000 mi and I don't think the engine had been out.

I've been scratching my head. Is this the sleeves in this ebay pic? If so, and if they hold the rocker shafts in, then I somehow overlooked them. I'm sure they're in there so please switch your old ones to the donor cover. I have the o-rings if you need them ;)

headcover.png

Yes, those are the sleeves. Installed, you may not even notice them much, and you can't see their o-rings. They're under that lip your arrows point to. The sleeves don't have to come out during a rebuild unless you are planning to pull the rocker shafts out. I don't disturb them much anymore because I rarely pull the rockers out now. I used to when I was grinding the ends with the rocker screw holes for the elephant foot screw mod. I don't do it that way anymore. I figured out a better way to mod them and can do it with the rockers in place .....

1LHlrDh.jpg

My 81 SH US model did have the sleeves. They are really only noticeable when you remove the chrome bolts/covers to take out the rockers.

I’m looking locally but I need a single sleeve - somehow misplaced one. Can anyone airmail one to the great white north?

Back