Mix Screw O-ring....and the trouble it will cause. (My Test Findings)

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
This is just a little test I did today and what I found.

My engine has been backfiring as of late on decelleration. Fresh rebuild on the carbs, everything else is fine. I figured I'd slowly go through, testing, and see what I could find WITHOUT jumping around.
One test at a time.
I got the bike started, warmed, and idling nicely. Then hit certain spots with some starter fluid. Now, I know only the left side was popping so I really only checked that specific side.
I went over everything and no increase in idle. Using a spray bottle is a little primative since it can cause false readings by dripping across an area or because of over-spray.
Then I had a little brain storm. I got an eye dropper and put 2-3 drops of starter fluid, (which I collected by spraying a heavy amount in a jug, then using the eye dropper to "suck" some up), right on top of the mix screw and no where else.
BINGO was his name-o!! (Kinda lucky to hit the right spot first though)
The bike's idle raced and the exhaust popped like a fire cracker.
I removed the mix screw O-ring and it was flattened badly. They are new O-rings, but sometimes things go bad. I probably didn't have it seated correctly to begin with, but that little ring made it seem as if there was a hole in my intake. The bike was popping loudly!!! This just shows what that little bugger, if bad, can cause.

To do another test with the eye dropper, to see if it worked good, I lossened one carb boot screw and did the same on the area where it had become detached from the intake. Same results.
So, I found that using an eye dropper can pinpoint the leak.

Last edited:
..... and ..... and .....

I just got another 25 pack of the 1 X 3 BS34 mix screw o-rings from McMaster Carr. I go through these things like water. Every set of 34s I look at seems to need them.

Lol too funny! Yesterday someone was saying what a quality job they did rebuilding their carbs while leaving the mixture screws alone. But then again you'll probably be told the leak was coming from actual firecrackers in your exhaust that were ignited electrically because your plug wires are 7mm and not the 8mm from mikes j

..... and ..... and .....

I just got another 25 pack of the 1 X 3 BS34 mix screw o-rings from McMaster Carr. I go through these things like water. Every set of 34s I look at seems to need them.

5twin-

Do you have the part number for those o-rings from McMaster Carr?

Thanks

One point is that reading the carb guide FIRST is important. And doing the proper tests. Instead of tearing into the carbs and then not understanding why the fucking bike won't run. "I turned all the carb screws for no reason" or "It ran fine before I blindly pulled all the engine apart" are some of my favorite titles.

You may want to reconsider your choice of leak finder.
Putting starting fluid on the o-ring may have created the leak.
Here to find the contents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starting_fluid
Here to find the compatability:http://www.pspglobal.com/fluid-compatibility/chemicals-d.html (rated #4 = not recommeded for Buna-N materials)

The reason WD-40 USED to be a good leak finder was the propellent was propane.
Since they have changed to CO2 as a propellent it dun wok nomo.

Get a BIC.

Bluebikerblan
Set me straight. Am I talking BS or not.

McMaster Carr part # for the 1 X 3 o-rings is 9263K511. These are the Viton type, about $6 for a 25 pack.

Back