mmm...Odd swinging arm..

XS1961

XS addict!
Reaction score
I was rummaging around my shed today digging out several spare XS650 swinging arms ..I came accross this one (centre in photo) that I took off an XS a couplve of years ago .I hadnt noticed before that it was different to all my others,noticably the solid axle slots(no blocks/bolts & its not been welded shut). Also the angle of the rear shock mounts.
Seen here against two 'normal' arms from a '79 SE & a '77 Roadster.

Attachments

• Swinging arm 4Sept.jpg
    Swinging arm 4Sept.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 119
They went to the closed loop and slanted bracket for the "specials"?
Not to say every special had them. They seemed to mix and match.
The schematic for the 83 shows the closed loop as standard equipment with the open end and block as being an alternate part.
The shock brackets are something I hadn't picked up on. But checking an 81 sure nuf they are slanted.

My bike is a 1980 and it has the same slanted shock brackets/closed eye of the middle arm in your pic. Never really paid attention before.

Well, you live & learn. Cant say Ive ever come across a closed ender before , but being as the 'Special'/'USCustom ' model is the one model Ive only owned a few of & I rarely hang on to for long ( theyre so ugly ), maybe I hadnt noticed before... I obviously hadnt noticed this one either:)
Thanks

Attachments

• Swinging arm 4Sept.jpg
    Swinging arm 4Sept.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 59
My 78SE looks like the bottom one in the picture, with a machined metal "end" that slides into the rear opening.

Isn't "ugly" a little harsh....................my Special has feelings you know:D

Well, you live & learn. Cant say Ive ever come across a closed ender before , but being as the 'Special'/'USCustom ' model is the one model Ive only owned a few of & I rarely hang on to for long ( theyre so ugly ), maybe I hadnt noticed before... I obviously hadnt noticed this one either:)
Thanks

i agree....if i do own one it will be a cafed with a nice performance motor in it.

I gotta agree with XS1961, Specials look... well... special. (ducks and runs to avoid the inevitable barrage of broken glass, Molotov cocktails, name calling, tar and feathers)

The early 70-73 bikes had a closed loop and were shorter and had thinner axle plates than the later 74 up bikes. I think they went back to a closed loop in 80.
My 81 and 82 have closed loops with angled shock mounts.
The 75 has the open loop like the upper and lower one in your pics.
In your pic I think the upper is a disc brake swing arm, the lower a drum brake. The upper has the brake strut mount on top, the lower underneath.
Leo

The upper was from a 1978 SE ( disc )
Middle was a '80 SE (with spoked wheels & drum)
Bottom from a '77 Roadster.

Back