Modern Brake Calipers

Wally

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im going to spokes on the cafe but want to use a modern caliper Have a set from the Yamaha TRX but not shore if the spokes will hit on the back side, spoke wheels not ready yet.
What are the most common modern brake calipers used on XS spoke front wheels

Attachments

• TRX Break.JPG
    TRX Break.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 300
  • TRX Break2.JPG
    TRX Break2.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 307
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 325
Hi Wally,
I have an R1 calliper and a Brembo rotor. Kev C has a good thread on this set up; on this board he even includes adaptor plate drawings.

Attachments

• DSCF0026 compressed.jpg
    DSCF0026 compressed.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 344
Signal
Thats a blue spot caliper I took my TRX calipers of to fit R1 calipers (same hole patten)
So with the same bracket my TRX calipers shpuld fit YES

Can you send me a link to Kev C set up

Hi Wally,
You will still need to check clearance as it will alter depending on the off-set of the disc you use.
I had to make a spacer to bring the disc out for spoke- calliper clearance. It was pretty tight as you can see in the photo.
Also the fork leg was relieved to give a bit more clearance for the disc rivet buttons.

The SR bracket you posted looks similar but you will need to check the dimensions.
Here is the link to Kiev C's thread http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197&highlight=blue+spot+caliper

Attachments

• DSCF0029 compressed.jpg
    DSCF0029 compressed.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 319
I Suppose I need to get the callipers a little further down over the Disc????

Attachments

• Brake3.JPG
    Brake3.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 306
  • Brake1.JPG
    Brake1.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 303
Yeah I would.
I used the following method on another brake conversion.
To ensure the disc pad contact area was optimised I taped a piece of flexible wire about 3mm in diameter to the periphery of the disc.
Then positioned the calliper body so that it was snug against the wire then rechecked the contact areas, spoke clearance and adjusted. The wire ensured that there was radial clearance between the disc and calliper body.
To help with the calliper positioning hook it up to a master cylinder on an old handle bar and bleed it. Use meth’s as fluid to save a mess, it evaporates. Then to clamp the calliper into the position you want, use the hydraulics and put a rubber band around the lever. Frees up your hands to mark up and centres the calliper to the disc as well.

bit better now made some adjustments to bracket jig
also a pic of the TRX Blue spot calliper

Attachments

• Brake 4.JPG
    Brake 4.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 331
  • brake 5.JPG
    brake 5.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 326
Ive fitted a new disc & my TRX calliper but Im not getting full contact of the pads on the disc cant push the calliper forward as Ive had to mill the back face as much as I think I can so as not to hit the spokes with the back face of the calliper.

Attachments

• Calliper.JPG
    Calliper.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 338
EDITED for relevance: Not spoke wheels, but I used Brembo with XS performance rotor. Uses the mount from Pandemonium with custom spacers behind the rotor and between the forks and mount. This means it doesnt require milling the caliper etc.

Attachments

• caliper.jpg
    caliper.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
82mm side to side. This diagram has the specs. It took some searching to find.

Attachments

• Brembo p4 30 34 drawing jpg.jpg
    Brembo p4 30 34 drawing jpg.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 997
Last edited:
Wally,
I had the same problem, see my earlier post. Work out the distance to relocate the disc using washers then make an adaptor plate. If you are lucky your existing calliper adaptor plate can be relieved the same amount and still be strong enough.

Thanks I already have a disc spacer at 12.70 am now moving
it out another 3mm then start again

Ok moved the disc out now to 15.70 mm
Have full sweep of pads on disc
& got good clearance on spokes now need to make new mounting bracket

I think my disc rotor must be as close as yours now Signal

Attachments

• Disc 2.JPG
    Disc 2.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Werarewe

Thanks for your help & pic
I see in your pic the pads don't sweep over all the holes on the disc, my first set up did this & am not happy with it,,, is this normal using the Brembo calliper

Well I only recently fitted mine, and being winter here the bikes off the road while i do work on it, so its not been ridden. Perhaps RG could give you his long term verdict. But the pads do cover all the holes on the aftermarket rotor. The fit looks good to me. The brembo 30/34 setup is pretty common i think.

The marks you see on the rotor were from my first test set up when I got a caliper cheap from a wreckers. It wasn't in great nick, leaked from the internal o-ring, the bleeder, felt like there was excessive drag. I spent some time messing about with it but ended up scoring a brand new one from Ebay for 70 bucks. I also didnt have it centered and square which didnt help. So yeh those tracks are just from spinning the wheel briefly during that time. It was never bedded in.

Last edited:
Im getting there I hope

Attachments

• cafe spokes.JPG
    cafe spokes.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 305
  • 971656_10151830099925934_2010878651_n.jpg
    971656_10151830099925934_2010878651_n.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 268
Back