Modify old frame or buy a new one???

WindLvr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering what opinions there are on this topic. I have a 1978 frame that I want to hardtail or I want to buy a new frame. I am wondering if it is better to buy new than to modify something that is 33 years old. :shrug:

New frame might be stronger but you have to consider how difficult it will be to register a new frame which varies by the state you live in.

Posted via Mobile

I am a Pennsylvania Inspection Mechanic. Once it passes state inspection, by me ;), I take the paperwork to dmv to have vin plate attached or vin stamped on the frame. I have talked with them already, and the process here is quite easy from the people I have talked with. I have connections in this area too which just might be helping me a little too

So i just found out that I have to go to an Enhanced Inspection Station. It cost $149.95, and I have to provide all receipts and an affidavit stating I built the motorcycle and where I got the parts from. They need to know that none of that parts were stolen. Then they take a ton of pictures, inspect it for safety issues, and take it for a 3 mile test ride. Once that is done, I have to go to the local notary they submit the forms, and the state issues me a vin. All in all the process cost about $300.

Which is why a most of us just modify existing frames. Or you could register the stock frame, cut the neck off and build a new frame around it. That helps too.

Posted via Mobile

That is a good idea Capt Zoom. I have a titled frame already, so that would be a viable option. Time to start talking with frame builders!

I talked with Hugh about my frame, and he is too busy right now to do it. Not until fall or winter will he be doing any frame work I believe he said in our emails. Ardcore would be a nice choice. Their bikes look to be top notch.

Back