Mono-shocked Cafe racer from Ireland

nicmcs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've been a long time lurker on this website but have now decided to start my own build thread, as I am using it as part of a final year in college where i'm doing a degree in mechanical engineering.

The end goal is to build a mono-shocked cafe racer with a rephased 750cc conversion.

The frame mods and mono-shock conversion are to be done first then the engine will be built.

The bike itself is a 79 special apparently, also an american import and hasnt been taxed or on the road in ireland in nearly 20 years.
I bought the bike about 18months ago for 300 euro, and was well and truly f*cked as the photos show.
the engine was in pieces and has a decent hole in one piston. the engine was all over the floor of of the PO's workshop/ garden shed and covered in pigeon shit.
[/URL][/IMG]
The bike on the trip home.

[/URL][/IMG]
Box of parts.

IMG_0288.jpg

Tear down in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I've had the frame bead blasted and put in storage up until now.
IMG_0813.jpg

The engine being thrown back together for storage..
[/URL][/IMG]

This is the swing arm I'm planning on using, it's from a 2002 kawasaki zrx 1200 i believe..
[/URL][/IMG]

And this is the shock and linkage set up i've started to design around..
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• IMG_1762.jpg
    IMG_1762.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2
Hi nic,
300 Euro is mebbe $400 which ain't too bad of a deal for what the photos show.
Check the frame and engine serial numbers though.
The frame looks about right for a '79 but the forked-outlet crankcase vent and the lack of an oil-level sightglass in the clutch casting say the engine is earlier.
A harder look don't show an electric starter, either; not that I can see, anyway.
Which means a really early motor.
Which is no problem so long as you know about it, you'll need different parts, is all.

Just a small update as I haven't been on much.

Scored myself a lovely GSXR750 (K9 I believe) front end, appears in very good condition with good seals.
IMG_2469.jpg

Have also had this front mount for ages, got this from Bobber_xs on here, very pleased with it.
IMG_2461.jpg

Also been working on my new rear top mount, this will hopefully mount underneath the seat rails with additional tubing as reinforcement.
Topmountprototyperev2.jpg

Also decided to find a set of these rims, they are off the Kawasaki ER6. They will allow me to run a 160 rear tire and 120 up front.
er6nrims.jpg

Lower mount is still a big work in progress.
Nicholas

Last edited:
Welcome. This is going to be a big project and interesting to watch. Your off to good start. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

Hi nic,
300 Euro is mebbe $400 which ain't too bad of a deal for what the photos show.
Check the frame and engine serial numbers though.
The frame looks about right for a '79 but the forked-outlet crankcase vent and the lack of an oil-level sightglass in the clutch casting say the engine is earlier.
A harder look don't show an electric starter, either; not that I can see, anyway.
Which means a really early motor.
Which is no problem so long as you know about it, you'll need different parts, is all.

Must check the numbers for the engine but the frame number matches the logbook,
there is a starter but no sightglass.

I always love a good mono-shock build, looking forward to seeing progress.

Good to see another engineering student as well.

Cheers.

Upload more pick proccess ;)

Small update added..

The front forks will look good with the mono shock swing arm. Good choice light weight. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
but by the time i finish with the swing arm it may not be so lightweight due to the extra material for the mono shock mount..well I can always hope...

I am curious as to why you chose a twin shock swingarm instead of a swingarm already setup for mono shock. (?)

Ken

I am curious as to why you chose a twin shock swingarm instead of a swingarm already setup for mono shock. (?)

Ken

That would have been the easy solution,

but I really like this swing arm for a few reasons.
1. I love the tube profile of the main parts of the swing arm, its different and I reckon it will look well when brushed finished.
2. I like the eccentric chain adjusters, reminds me of streetfighter bikes I oogles over in my youth....;)
3. The swing arm is approximately 50mm longer then stock, which gives me all the extension i want.

Nic

looks so did I with my adaptation of monoshock though he be installing a rim 190 back ...

I hope you serve

full

full

Hey Zain Diaz,
That's interesting and kinda similar as to the way I plan on doing mine. What swing arm and rim is that?

Hey Zain Diaz,
That's interesting and kinda similar as to the way I plan on doing mine. What swing arm and rim is that?

MIRA ESTE TAMBIEN TE PUEDE SERVIR ES LA BASE PARA ATORNILLAR EL MONOSHOCK EN DOS PUNTOS EN EL CUADRO ARRIBA Y ABAJO,

picture.php

full

EN ESA POSICION LA ALTURA DE LA MOTO QUEDO PERFECTA :thumbsup:

ESPERO TE SIRVA YA QUE A MI NADIE ME AYUDO JEJEJE

SALUDOS:thumbsup:

- - - decided to find a set of these rims, they are off the Kawasaki ER6. They will allow me to run a 160 rear tire and 120 up front. - - -

Hi nic,
nice looking wheels but if you run a fatter than 130 rear tire the sprockets can't line up unless you use an offset front sprocket or run the rear wheel offset to the front.

Back