MonoShocking advice needed

vernk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I finally got to doing some work last night and I got to the point of a nice mock up. My question is....is the angle of this setup ok? I thought of streamlining the swingarm brace/shock with the frame's top tube. But is this wise or not? I've no engineering experience so I'll let you guys decide the bike's fate.

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

The tire is pushed forward all the way possible so there is a nice cushion of space for when the chain is adjusted back.

ANY input is much appreciated. Thanks!
v

Last edited:
I came across a build similar to yours, either in this forum or in another. They half cut the back bone tubing and welded in a piece of tubing split in half to create a concave and then welded the tabs for the shock, which lowered the mount quite a bit. i like what you are doing, looks really nice. I just finished a mono shock conversion on my bike as well, using a FRZ aluminum swing arm. I am very happy with how it came out and the bike rides amazing.

Attachments

• xs650 mono.JPG
    xs650 mono.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 137
a novel idea. i love the concave fitment bit. would've loved to do the fzr and go a bit wider on the wheel. budgets... down the line this will be revisited. do you have pictures and a write up on your monoshocked bike? guessing frz shock as well?

I really need to start a album.
I have found all the information on my mods here in the forum or surfing the web. Yes, the FRZ swing arm and stock shock is what I went with and the shock has adjustable height and works perfect. I went with the R6 front end, which allowed me to go with a 130/80-17 front tire and I used a rear wheel off a Suzuki GSR 500, which allowed me to use a 140/80-17 tire. The bike handles amazingly. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0946.jpg
    IMG_0946.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0947.jpg
    IMG_0947.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 164
Nice looking bike blagave. That bottom shock mount looks a little light duty and poor quality welds. Hope it doesn't fail. Other than that Nice job.

Yes i dig the look. interested in the headlight as well. but i agree with scabber. you may want to grind that down and redo the welds for your safety.

You guys would have to pick out the only shitty weld on the bike :mad: That weld was done upside down after a hernia surgery (same day). I agree that the tabs I used are to light weight and they will be coming off when I strip the bike down. Thanks for the input.

The headlight is made by Baja Designs and is LED. We run them on our sand cars and they are very bright. I have a couple thin LED lights coming that I am going to mount vertical in the front plate as running lights and the Baja Design light is wired to the high beam switch

constructive criticism only and in regards to your safety bro :) when looking at placement and the condition i figured as much. i've done my fair share of overhead dripping welds :D

I think the angle of your U brace is too inline. It is a straight line from the swing arm to where the shock is attached to the frame. the angle needs to be raised higher towards 90 or when the shock is compressed the brace will end up below the shock.

Just took a few pictures and as you can see, I need to adjust the angle.....a lot. I hope the light isn't to bright.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 137
Sick. How much is that light? My Cree flashlight gets super hot. Do these?

Ok so bring that angle up n close it to 90 or smaller. Right

The light is reasonable at $170 in comparison to what is out there. I haven't used this light much, so not sure about the heat, but if it is like the lights on my sand car, then they stay much cooler than HID's. I only have up/ down & side to side adjust ment. If I need to narrow the width of the beam, I will make something.

I bought the light at Kartek. http://www.kartek.com/Product/764/SII-LED-Light.aspx

So I finally got to doing some work last night and I got to the point of a nice mock up. My question is....is the angle of this setup ok? I thought of streamlining the swingarm brace/shock with the frame's top tube. But is this wise or not? I've no engineering experience so I'll let you guys decide the bike's fate.

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

The tire is pushed forward all the way possible so there is a nice cushion of space for when the chain is adjusted back.

ANY input is much appreciated. Thanks!
v

That setup looks just like one Roland Sands did with a Sportster

Back