More Yamaha's

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Honestly just here to gloat. Found out from my little brother that there were two old Yamaha dirt bikes sitting in a barn in Vancouver (79 250 IT & a 81 175 IT). Since I couldn't get out there to see them and didn't know what the condition was I had my brother offer him $150 for both. He took it and gave me the ownership for both bikes. Then a buddy who was out there with his truck offered to bring them back to Calgary for me free of charge. They are now sitting in the shop. They look rough but almost all of the parts are there and both bikes started up after a few kicks. There are a few pieces that need TLC but otherwise they are good to play with. Not sure whether I will clean them up and sell them or just enjoy them for a bit.

Been walking past these bikes for a few weeks now and wondering before I take the out for a ride if there is a way to flush the engine clean? I've read about guys replacing the oil with diesel fuel and running for a few minutes or should I use a Seafoam product? Is there a way to clean the gunk out before I try and ride for the first season on these old bikes?

I ran the prescribed amount on the back of the seafoam can for crankcase and gas in my 2003 suzi marauder. Smoothed it right out. bike has 15,xxx miles on it, figured it could use it.

On a two stroke the oil contained in the cases is just clutch and tranny oil. You can start the bike, warm it up and drain the oil and refill with clean oil. Should be fine.
The engine gets it's oil from either mixing oil with the fuel or from a tank on the bike with a pump on the engine to squirt a bit of oil in the engine as needed. If the bikes have the oil tank, draining and flushing won't hurt. Use deisel or fuel oil. About the same stuff just taxed different. I like Kerosene for things like this.
One more thing, no pics means it didn't happen.
Leo

Back