Morris magneto

Mikeyoung1138

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone use a Morris mag on there Xs I was wondering y not many people use them are they good for the road or just racing?

They're cost prohibitive and you still need a charging system, it won't take the place of that.

They're not very visually appealing if you're worried about that.

I'd get one if I had money to burn though :D

They're cost prohibitive and you still need a charging system, it won't take the place of that.

They're not very visually appealing if you're worried about that.

I'd get one if I had money to burn though :D

I like how they look but yea they r a lot of money problay just gonna do pamco /pma

Posted via Mobile

They're great if you can afford them. The faster you twist them the more spark they make and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure them out but when it comes down to money and being practical a Pamco or a stock electronic ignition will probably meet your every performance need.

But if I only had money to burn I could make heads turn.

PS. For less than the cost of the MM you can buy Hugh's PMA and Pete's Pamco and not have to carry cases to the machine shop for fitting.

Last edited:
are those the ones that stick out really far from the points housing?

yup....

I'd really like a first hand opinion from someone who has ridden with one. I mean, for a $1000 I feel like this thing better be like a flux capacitor

large_1581_morris-magnetos-yxs-yamaha-xs650-magneto-photo-4.jpg

Never rode one on an XS but rode some on old H-Ds. For drag racing they were like night and day better than stock points setups but for street use I doubt you'd ever turn the engine enough to need the magneto as high RPM is where it shines.

And you still have to deal with points in them!

other than to show off, why would anyone do that? pamco's are the shit! (thats a good thing, Pete)

I run one on my 81 and I love it. I actually have an extra one forsale that was only bolted on for mockup. There about $1000 new I'm looking to get $725 for it with the plug wires and ill cover shipping. Pm me if interested

I've got one on my 79. It cost me a bomb by the time I imported it to Vietnam (150% Import Tax). I can't say I'd put one on my other XS. Good thing is, even being colorblind I can rig this one up! hahaha. Bad thing is, my bike had no parts to actually connect it to so had to make them up.
Wouldn't sell it but wouldn't buy another either. Took 2 months to make and they won't answer any questions I had. Lucky for me I found this site and got awesome advice here!

I just got one for my bobber. It reminds me of the old britt bikes and flat trackers. What I love is u scrap all the old ignition, no more coils to hide. I have ridden it illegally (no lights or plates) and it runs great.

Now I do have one question for u guys. Can I and if so how do I run a headlight and taillight with a stock charging system and no battery.

No the stock charging needs a battery to ramp up the voltage. It's just like a car alternator, with no voltage to the field coil it will never start charging.

Back