Most cost effective front brake upgrade?

Muneio

XS650 Argonaut
Reaction score
I'm plan on replacing both rims with mikes aluminium ones and upgrading the front brake. Does anybody have an opinion on what would be a better upgrade on the front brakes:

1. Stock dual disc
    yamaha-xs650-1975-cafe-racer-01.jpg
  2. Mikes XS upgraded rotor (single)
30-3065.jpg

Or is there a better alternative that doesn't cost a fortune?

You are going to get more braking power from dual disc than vented. That's just simple math.

The dual stock is the easiest route, the most difficult thing finding the left hand caliper - save yourself pain and frustration, just buy the new one from Mike's, when you get the stainless lines and double length banjo bolt. Buying a rotor from eBay is fairly painless.

And unless you're doing *real* track racing, heat (thus outgassing, which is what x-drilling alleviates) is never an issue. You'd get better results by upgrading your pad material.

You are going to get more braking power from dual disc than vented. That's just simple math.

The dual stock is the easiest route, the most difficult thing finding the left hand caliper - save yourself pain and frustration, just buy the new one from Mike's, when you get the stainless lines and double length banjo bolt. Buying a rotor from eBay is fairly painless.

And unless you're doing *real* track racing, heat (thus outgassing, which is what x-drilling alleviates) is never an issue. You'd get better results by upgrading your pad material.

No I won't be doing any racing. I just want good brakes :)

Yeah that makes sense I had kinda come to the same conclusion with double the surface area but wasn't sure if the reduction in unsprung weight would help that much, probably not enough? But I really liked the look of the new rotors :D

Yeah that makes sense I had kinda come to the same conclusion with double the surface area but wasn't sure if the reduction in unsprung weight would help that much, probably not enough?
(wavy hand motions) Meh. "yes", it will, but will it be noticeable?
But I really liked the look of the new rotors :D
they certainly are pretty.

If you want stock duals I finally signed up on two xs1100 boards and found what I needed in three days. The 1100s are plentifull and it's an easy way to get parts.

Yeah I'm going to go with the stock dual disc setup for now (Thanks GentlemanJim) and I can always upgrade to the new rotors win I win the lottery.

Thanks for the input everybody.

Stainless lines & Vesrah Sintered pads (available from 650Central) will do the job.
Or get yourself a modern caliper and make an adaptor, probably cost you $40 & some drilling & filing.
see HERE for Fazer caliper upgrade thread
HERE for stainless brake & clutch lines thread
HERE for rotors that fit the XS650 thread
and HERE for adding a 2nd disc thread
cheers Kev

Stainless lines & Vesrah Sintered pads (available from 650Central) will do the job.
Or get yourself a modern caliper and make an adaptor, probably cost you $40 & some drilling & filing.
see HERE for Fazer caliper upgrade thread
HERE for stainless brake & clutch lines thread
HERE for rotors that fit the XS650 thread
and HERE for adding a 2nd disc thread
cheers Kev

Thanks for the great info Kev.

I put dual disc on mine. I used a pair of slotted XS1100 rotors. They are 5mm thick, where the 650's are 7 mm thick. Some what lighter.
The disc of of the XS750's and 850's will work if they are the standard models, the specials are smaller. 10.7 inches vs 11.5 inches. If your not sure ask the seller to measure them.

The XS1100 used two very different front end/brake systems. The standards used forks the same as ours but 36 or 37 mm tubes. These had the axle on the bottom. They used the same brake system. Mount the same way.
The Specials used a leading edge fork, these had the axle mounted up on the front of the forks, these used a very different brake system, The calipers Had a single mount bolt in from the rear and mounted to the rear of the fork. They also used the smaller diameter rotors.
I have been thinking of going to a single disc set up with a 10 mm Master cylinder. From what others have said it works as well as the dual disc and has half the unsprung weight. This should imp[rove handling a bit. Less weight to turn in and out of turns as well as better shock action.
This might be a less expensive change than the dual calipers. Just change the master and add the braided steel lines.
Leo

Back