Motor Knocking

Well there is a shop here where I live and he is gunna let me keep my bike there and show me how to work on it but he is gunna make me do it myself so im pretty stoked on that

he builds and races xs650 flat track bikes

Wow, that is an awesome opportunity man. gl.

Too tight is not as forgiving.

Specifically, the valves will spend less time in contact with the head, if they're too tight. That means the exhaust valves won't transfer heat out as well and they will burn up, giving you the opportunity to do a valve job
gear_grin.gif

TOO TIGHT LESS FORGIVING MEANS YOU BENT THEM. YOUR SCREWED
If you got a place to go READ the BOOK and take it there. I have had way to many motors come here for rebuild because of guys tightening up valves on the wrong stroke and bending them all it takes is one time. I don't think its your valves you would see smoke coming out exhaust or popping threw carbs if they were that far out to knock.
Sounds like you got someone who knows his stuff take the bike there and LEARN.

the guy I took it to said it sounds like the carbs are not in sync

but he said the knocking isnt what I thought it was but were gunna go through the whole thing make sure its all legit

Very cool to find someonewilling to help you learn. Having an experenced eye to watch you do the work and help you do it right will be, as the credit card commercials say "priceless".
Leo

Back