Motor questions/ issues... i have some!

rustynail99

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok guys, i started tearing into my 79 XS motor that has about 18,000 miles on it. i had it running for a stint and i had a bit of oil coming out of the right cylinder and the left wouldnt fire at all, and it had very very low compression out of both cylinders. :banghead:

the issues: :confused:

1. when i drained the oil in the case and the trasmission there was considerable sludge build up on both of the magnetic oil drain plugs, however when i put my finger up just inside the case there didnt seem to be a sludge build-up. any idea what this means? :(

2. when i move my finger around the inside of the transmission through the oil drain hole there are small, seemingly non magnetic metal shavings in there. any idea what this could mean? it did shift through all 5 gears and the clutch seemed to work well before i started tearing it apart. :banghead:

3. im a newbie at this :doh: and i have the top of the motor off and i now need to remove the cam-chain to get to the rest of the motor. do i need a speacial cam chain tool to remove it or can i just use a regular chain breaker to get it off?

4. are there any other little tips or tricks i should be aware of before continueing into the rest of the motor? :shrug:

Thanks in advance guys, this build would not be possible with out your guidance and patience :) there are also pictures of everything up in my Rusynail99's build thread. thanks again!!! :bike:

ok guys, i started tearing into my 79 XS motor that has about 18,000 miles on it. i had it running for a stint and i had a bit of oil coming out of the right cylinder and the left wouldnt fire at all, and it had very very low compression out of both cylinders. :banghead:

- oil rings esp stick, open valve seats corrode, heads detorque, po's dont do basic maintenance.......

- rings, decoke, hone, gaskets, valve lap, guide seals, cam chain guide?, cam chain? torque and retorque your head, then do it again

1. when i drained the oil in the case and the trasmission there was considerable sludge build up on both of the magnetic oil drain plugs, however when i put my finger up just inside the case there didnt seem to be a sludge build-up. any idea what this means? :(

- not had a lot of use, been sitting a lot, not many oil changes

2. when i move my finger around the inside of the transmission through the oil drain hole there are small, seemingly non magnetic metal shavings in there. any idea what this could mean? it did shift through all 5 gears and the clutch seemed to work well before i started tearing it apart. :banghead:

- cam chain guide? cam chain been rattling? clutch wear?

3. im a newbie at this :doh: and i have the top of the motor off and i now need to remove the cam-chain to get to the rest of the motor. do i need a speacial cam chain tool to remove it or can i just use a regular chain breaker to get it off?

- if not planning on renewing the cam chain-loosen cam chain adjuster, slip the bearings off the end of the cam, slide out the cam-dont drop chain into the motor

4. are there any other little tips or tricks i should be aware of before continueing into the rest of the motor? :shrug:

thanks inxs!!! should i worry about the sludge build up or the metal shavings in the transmission case or should it not cause me any problems? also is there a paticular way to tell if i need a new cam chain? thanks again, i was stating to get a little nervous that no one would respond :)

Back