motor zipped up...what to do with these carbs?

da evil one

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i rebuilt the motor on my chop(top end) and now ive got the carbs that came with it. i bought new carb holders and i bought a complete gasket kit when i rebuilt the top end...sooo...what do i do with these carbs? check/ clean the float bowls, throw new gaskets on em and slap em on? soak em in cleaner? buy a rebuild kit? i know jackshit about carbs since this is my first build. any help/suggestions greatly appreciated!

What model carbs? Tacke apart, inspect carb internals and diaphragms, remove all jet, thoroughly clean all ports with carb cleaner and compressed air. New gaskets and o- rinds are a good idea, be careful when removing mixture screws, different models have tiny o-rings and washers. Check float height. Clean the needles. I like to lube everything with WD40 when I reinstall everything. Be sure to make some special little screwdrivers that fit the jets and mixture screw perfectly. This is just the basics. Be sure to check out the carb guide in the tech section located up top.
Godspeed.

Read the carb guide...a lot...before you start messing with them. Get a really good understanding of how they work and what you need to do. I say this 'cuz there are several threads which should be titled, "I took it apart and now I fucked it up because I have no idea how to read and was told, several times by many members, to read the carb guide first, but I didn't so now I have this thread titled 'Help!!!' and I call everything 'this thing' and 'that thingy' due to me not reading the carb guide and not using the tech section or search function and can't get it through my head that you must check cam chain tension, valve lash, timing, then go to the carbs in that order.", and don't need to be.

My two cents.

Read the carb guide...a lot...before you start messing with them. Get a really good understanding of how they work and what you need to do. I say this 'cuz there are several threads which should be titled, "I took it apart and now I fucked it up because I have no idea how to read and was told, several times by many members, to read the carb guide first, but I didn't so now I have this thread titled 'Help!!!' and I call everything 'this thing' and 'that thingy' due to me not reading the carb guide and not using the tech section or search function and can't get it through my head that you must check cam chain tension, valve lash, timing, then go to the carbs in that order.", and don't need to be.

My two cents.

+1:thumbsup:

Back