Motorcycle specific clutch friendly oil...?

radxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
See how I tried to disguise an oil thread...? No, huh...?

In that the XS650F (and all of these Yamahas I guess) share engine and tranny oil, does the choice in oil need to be compatible with wet clutches...?

Any preferred...?

I happen to be nearly complete Triumph T140V 750 and have the same dilemma there too...

Thanks,
Rob

1FxwZn.jpg

Yes. I personally use various brands of motorcycle oil. Some synthetic. Some not. I like Yamalube and I get it fairly cheap in bulk from Rocky Mountain ATV.

Some here use the stuff for diesel engines or Walmart 20W50. As long as it isn’t marked “ENERGY CONSERVING”. Since I use Yamalube, I forget what the JSO number is supposed to be.

XS650 Oil changes come up quickly, so expensive oil gets more expensive.

Did I cover it?

Since my other bikes use 10w40 (recommended), I tried some in the XS.
Nope, it didn't like it much at all. Too noisy and clattery, so it's now fed some 20w50 every so often. Just the way the designers liked it.
As far as motorcycle-specific oil is concerned, well, for decades I've shied away from being held over a barrel by the oily bastards, and (mostly) fed my bikes with car oil. Modern oil brews have to be scrutinised carefully, so that the 'friction reducing' additives aren't clutch unfriendly. The 'energy conserving' badge is a warning. However, that only starts to kick in when the oil is something like a 0w30 or there abouts, and nothing that you'd be putting in a bike of this age anyway.

Some here use the stuff for diesel engines or Walmart 20W50. As long as it isn’t marked “ENERGY CONSERVING”. Since I use Yamalube, I forget what the JSO number is supposed to be.

XS650 Oil changes come up quickly, so expensive oil gets more expensive.

Did I cover it?

Well kinda... School me on JSO numbers.

This...?

Manufacturer: Yamaha
OEM Part Number: LUB-20W50-AP-04

Details: Yamalube 20W-50 Motorsorts All Purpose Engine Oil - 1 Quart,
  • This performance-blended mineral oil is suitable for use in motorcycles, ATVs, Side-by-Side vehicles, and scooters.
  • It provides stable clutch performance and the strength needed to protect the engine from the wear and tear of daily use.
  • A precise blend of top-quality, mineral-base oil and ultra-clean additives provide superior antifrictional properties.
  • This oil meets or exceeds the JASO MA requirements, which includes the highest certified motorcycle engine oil rating that ensures proper wet clutch performance.
Copy all on the Energy Conserving.

Thanks,
Rob

image.jpg

As I understand it, JASO MA-2 is applicable to our motorcycle. JASO is Japanese Automotive Standards Organization. MA is the standard for a single unit engine with a wet clutch. -2 means it’s safe for catalytic converters (I believe).

My XS650SJ service manual says to use Yamalube 20W40 or SAE 20W40 SE. It predates JASO standards. Walmart 20W50 is SN and not labeled Energy Conserving, so theoretically, it’s okay.

If I use Yamalube 4 stroke engine oil or JASO MA, I feel assured I’m using the right stuff. YMMV

@jetmechmarty
One last clarification... The JASO is MA.

Is the Yamalube the 4T, AP-04 or the AP-12...?

Appreciate it.
The Yamalube in my garage is JASO MA. It also says API SJ. API is performance level and applications. This is all well and good for an XS650.
LUB-20W50-AP-04

I think the subject here should be, "What Synthetics Are Safe For A Motorcycle With A Wet Clutch ?". I say that because that is all that is readily available, now and in the future. I always used 10W40 Castrol GTX in my Honda's, GTX is now synthetic. Then I changed to Walmart brand, not available in conventional now. Now I'm buying farm store Providence conventional 10W40, expect that to be unavailable soon too. Oil companies just got this idea up their a$$ that "Synthetic" is a great selling point and an easy reason to raise prices.

I think the subject here should be, "What Synthetics Are Safe For A Motorcycle With A Wet Clutch ?". I say that because that is all that is readily available, now and in the future. I always used 10W40 Castrol GTX in my Honda's, GTX is now synthetic. Then I changed to Walmart brand, not available in conventional now. Now I'm buying farm store Providence conventional 10W40, expect that to be unavailable soon too. Oil companies just got this idea up their a$$ that "Synthetic" is a great selling point and an easy reason to raise prices.
I think it's more the fact that virtually all cars have come from the factory with synthetic for almost a quarter of a century. There is an oil for vintage cars, I believe it's called Penn Oil and also Shaefer.

I went into Cycle Gear in Memphis. I thought I might buy some oil. I got sticker shock and left it there.
Yamalube 20W50 is now $31 per gallon where I’ve been buying it. That’s about twice what it was last time I stocked up. It is not synthetic.

I went into Cycle Gear in Memphis. I thought I might buy some oil. I got sticker shock and left it there.
Yamalube 20W50 is now $31 per gallon where I’ve been buying it. That’s about twice what it was last time I stocked up. It is not synthetic.
Look on ebay. You can buy a case of four gallons for less.

I don`t run any oil in either of my bikes. It gets all over the internal engine parts and makes a mess of everything. No oil, no leaks right?:jk:

OK I do use Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil (conventional) Local NAPA always has it in stock.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I don`t run any oil in either of my bikes. It gets all over the internal engine parts and makes a mess of everything. No oil, no leaks right?:jk:

OK I do use Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil (conventional) Local NAPA always has it in stock.:thumbsup:
I've used plenty of that too. What I like best is JASO MA that is the least expensive.

All of those old oil threads that we joked about, meaningless now. New, more meaningful, threads for the precent time will be flooding in soon. I'm just happy to be spending money on my bikes right now, polishing chrome, painting parts, cleaning switches, securing titles, etc.,etc. There will be an end to it, and probably sooner than we think now.

Last edited:
Back