Moving choke lever from handlebar to carburetor - possible?

You can use the pull rod from the 80-81 34's but it comes out on the left side.
While going to the trouble you can also add extra stop points (Thanks XSJohn R.I.P.).

Attachments

• adding choke stops (1).jpg
    adding choke stops (1).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 615
  • adding choke stops (4).jpg
    adding choke stops (4).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Thanks as always WER and XSJohn. A quick check on Mikes XS didn't have a choke pull rod. I'll ask around on the forum to see if anyone has for sale. Can you explain XSJohn's note to "use the original to find the middle and make with a sharpie"?

I always found the step from half choke to no choke a bit much. On a cool morning I would still have to play with the throttle for a bit in the no choke position.
Adding a notch between half choke and no choke stopped that.
You need the notches to be inline with the original so I turned/spun the rod over and positioned the rod between the no choke and half choke notches and used a sharpie through the access hole you use to insert the spring and ball to mark where the new notch would be.
It might be done in a more simple fashion but that has worked for me 3x's.
Johns idea, my pics.

There are other ways than using the stock parts.
I had an old choke cable off a lawn mower. Cut it to length, bent the end of the wire to hook to the enrichener of the carb, clamp under the cable clamp. Infinitely adjustable.
Hears some pics.
You can buy new cables at most parts stores.
Another thing is to replace the bar mounted lever cable with one like Honda uses on my CM400, probably many others. It mounts on a riser bolt and has a pull knob. Again infinitely adjustable. No pics of that.
Leo

Attachments

• 001 (640x480).jpg
    001 (640x480).jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 316
  • New choke cable 002 (640x480).jpg
    New choke cable 002 (640x480).jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 316
There are other ways than using the stock parts.
I had an old choke cable off a lawn mower. Cut it to length, bent the end of the wire to hook to the enrichener of the carb, clamp under the cable clamp. Infinitely adjustable.
Hears some pics.
You can buy new cables at most parts stores.
Another thing is to replace the bar mounted lever cable with one like Honda uses on my CM400, probably many others. It mounts on a riser bolt and has a pull knob. Again infinitely adjustable. No pics of that.
Leo

You need the notches to be inline with the original so I turned/spun the rod over and positioned the rod between the no choke and half choke notches and used a sharpie through the access hole you use to insert the spring and ball to mark where the new notch would be.
It might be done in a more simple fashion but that has worked for me 3x's.
Johns idea, my pics.

Fellas, Thanks for your photos and two great solutions to my problem.:thumbsup:

Back