Moving coils?

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I’m customizing my xs and I need to move the coils for the gas tank clearance. I’m changing it obviously. I know I’ll have to make custom wires and mounts, but… I’m wondering if anyone had pics of where you’ve moved yours. Show me what ya got. Or what you’ve seen.

I mounted mine on the front of the battery box.

1648255238120.png

1648255264687.png

1648255300552.png

I was thinking where the battery usually is. I have the two green monster coils. They just seem so big when trying to find a place for them to go. At least I know it’s possible.

I already have the twin green monsters. One of my issues is, I’ve changed the gas tank to a triumph that sits lower. Had to install new mounting points.

What triumph tank are you using??

I used a tr6 tank that has a cut out below with a Boyer ignition (tiny coil) and still what a pain haha.

Probably gonna have to be someplace like Jim did or maybe where the horn is but it would probably look like an ugly blob there.

I’m sure you may not want to buy a new coil but the cost of the coil may save the time pulling out your hair to come up with a clean solution to those green monsters.

Is it a real tank or Indian repop??

I used a repop tank and the holes were off side to side by over an inch haha.

I tried making Side badges, they didn’t fit the look - filled the holes and went with a decal under the clear coat.

I only have the one coil, but stuck it between the top tube and the small one underneath using an aluminium bracket that bolts to one of the original coil brackets. Perhaps fitting two side by side in the same space would be possible if you made a custom bracket.

Attachments

• coil bracket and coil and engine mount fitted right side.jpg
    coil bracket and coil and engine mount fitted right side.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 53
Back