Wiring

5twins, I like the conductive grease bit, is a very good idea.

For all> A fine discussion of corrosion in antenna connections especially the sort of corrosion we see also in motorcycle wiring> https://www.arrl.org/antenna-corrosion (4 papers, all interesting and helpful in motorcycle arena)

I just spent 10 sambuckie for NOALCO at the hardware store. Zinc and grease mostly. It's used in aluminum wiring and obviously we make electrical connections, tin to solder to copper, sometime tin to gold in some electronic gizmos - to aluminum in probably some odd alloys...and mechanical ones too (like bolts to engine!) that corrode naturally, especially if salts and damp happens. NOALCO doubles as antiseize. Papers help understand matters too.

Best! 40N

Yes, that's an engine grounding wire. One end connects to the front condenser pack mounting screw (small eye). It looks like yours is OK there .....

View attachment 251626

The other end with the large eye goes to the front upper engine bolt, trapped between it and the upper mount on the right side .....

View attachment 251627
The other two wires are fed to the harness i presume??

Although it may look like one condenser at first glance, it is actually a condenser "pack", two condensers mounted end to end. There are two wires coming out of it, one from each condenser .....

View attachment 251819

The cloth covered orange and gray wires coming from the points connect to orange and gray wires with female double bullet connectors on them. One of the condenser wires plugs into each of these as well .....

View attachment 251820
Thank you. i am missing my condensers for some reason.

Oh, and that small ground wire coming out of the harness usually gets connected to one of the coil mounts .....

View attachment 251821

This is a very important wire and connection so make sure it's good (clean and tight). That one little ground wire connects everything in the harness that needs it to ground. I clean the ring terminal with a little wire wheel in a Dremel until it shines, also the spot on the frame it connects to. Then I liberally coat both with copper anti-seize.
Thank you.

Back