Wiring

yam-a-ha

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all. So underneath the tank on my 650se there is a no engine mounting bracket that gas two wires (black) that are attached to it. One goes to the right coil and the second one I don't know where it goes put it had a big round washer type end to it like it should go over an m8 bolt or something to that effect.

Attachments

• IMG_20230918_182702.jpg
    IMG_20230918_182702.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 53
I believe that it is a ground and was attached under one of the engine mount bolts. Never hurts to have an extra clean ground.

Yes, that's an engine grounding wire. One end connects to the front condenser pack mounting screw (small eye). It looks like yours is OK there .....

CondenserGround.jpg

The other end with the large eye goes to the front upper engine bolt, trapped between it and the upper mount on the right side .....

Engine Ground.jpg

Yes, that's an engine grounding wire. One end connects to the front condenser pack mounting screw (small eye). It looks like yours is OK there .....

View attachment 251626

The other end with the large eye goes to the front upper engine bolt, trapped between it and the upper mount on the right side .....

View attachment 251627
Thanks. If this was bad would it create a poor spark??

I'm not sure what would happen. But, it's pretty difficult to not have the engine grounded as every one of it's mounting bolts connects it to the frame. Yamaha may have added it to insure the condenser pack had a good ground so if that's the case then yes, maybe if it was bad or not connected at all, it might hurt the spark. But, this doesn't explain why Yamaha left this ground wire in place on the later models that had an electronic ignition and no condensers.

View attachment 251626

View attachment 251627
I don't have one of those condensers under the tank. Is mine built into the relay on the right hand side of my bike.

Attachments

• IMG_20230921_185831.jpg
    IMG_20230921_185831.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230921_185820.jpg
    IMG_20230921_185820.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 24
Just curious, how long have you had the bike and what issues are you having? I believe what you’re looking at is the safety relay.

Once the electronic ignition was installed, the condenser pack was no longer needed and was eliminated - but they left that ground wire in place. I guess it's just added insurance so that the engine grounds well to the frame.

If you still have a points ignition, you need the condensers or the points will burn up quickly. The condensers act sort of like a filter for the current that is fed to the points.

Just curious, how long have you had the bike and what issues are you having? I believe what you’re looking at is the safety relay.
Only acquired it a few weeks back. I had an xs2 yrs ago. I'm a 400/4. Kz650 man myself. I can't get her to run. Cleaned carbs and jets twice. Valve clearance done. Spark on time for both cylinders. Compression 150 psi on both. Wont fire on easy start or gas down the cylinder direct. New battery.????

Once the electronic ignition was installed, the condenser pack was no longer needed and was eliminated - but they left that ground wire in place. I guess it's just added insurance so that the engine grounds well to the frame.
She's on points.

If you still have a points ignition, you need the condensers or the points will burn up quickly. The condensers act sort of like a filter for the current that is fed to the points.
Someone said the relay on the right hand side of the bike inside the side cover has one built in. Like the pic I posted. I'm no good at electrics. But I was wondering about condenser.

So you have spark ( plug out and grounded it looks good ) and it is on time
Any poff or boom at all in any Cylinder ?

Yes, there's no condensers in those relays on the right side of the bike. They are safety relays. One turns the headlight on once the bike starts (or even just turns over enough to start producing a charge). The other is for the starter, to keep it from engaging once the motor is running. Whoever is telling you that, I wouldn't listen to them anymore, they don't have a clue, lol.

So you have spark ( plug out and grounded it looks good ) and it is on time
Any poff or boom at all in any Cylinder ?
yes have spark with plug grounded both plugs ann odd puff nothing like she wants to start. tried starter fluid and gas down the plug holes but nothing.

yes have spark with plug grounded both plugs ann odd puff nothing like she wants to start. tried starter fluid and gas down the plug holes but nothing.

OK but as the boys says ..If no condenser not good .. please look closer if there is one installed somewhere --- if not. Get one install and We start from there.

OK but as the boys says ..If no condenser not good .. please look closer if there is one installed somewhere --- if not. Get one install and We start from there.
Thanks definitely no condenser under the tank on the frame. Two black wires there OK. One seems to run into the harness from the frame bracket the other is on the bracket also and I can ground that to the frame but NO condenser where it should be.

Although it may look like one condenser at first glance, it is actually a condenser "pack", two condensers mounted end to end. There are two wires coming out of it, one from each condenser .....

CondenserPack.jpg

The cloth covered orange and gray wires coming from the points connect to orange and gray wires with female double bullet connectors on them. One of the condenser wires plugs into each of these as well .....

Condenser Hook-up2.jpg

Oh, and that small ground wire coming out of the harness usually gets connected to one of the coil mounts .....

GroundWires.jpg

This is a very important wire and connection so make sure it's good (clean and tight). That one little ground wire connects everything in the harness that needs it to ground. I clean the ring terminal with a little wire wheel in a Dremel until it shines, also the spot on the frame it connects to. Then I liberally coat both with copper anti-seize.

Back