Moving swingarm shock mount

gts500

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 79 special that I am lowering the seat rail and adding shorter shocks among other things. I am going to be moving the upper shock mount and I want to move the swingarm shock mount 3 to 3 1/2in forward to give me the desired angle of the shock.

My plan is to drill through the swingarm and weld in a length of 7/8in solid rod, then drill and tap it and bolt the shocks to the outside of the swingarm. I might use a swingarm from a TX 750 for extra strength. Has anybody done this or think it will weaken the swingarm too much, or cause any other problems?

I think what you plan won't weaken the swing arm much. The swing arm may bend there because of the change of leverage. Not adding the plug. Bracing it in some way will help.
That will also tip the bottom of the shock out about an inch. The shocks won't like that.

Just weld on tabs like the old mounts (single or double). That's what most do on the swingarm. Personally, I could see what you are describing as weakening the swingarm a little. Under normal riding it could be fine...but hit one massive pothole or sunkin manhole and you might be in for trouble.

Thanks for your input guys. I'm still not sure if I'm going to mount the shock on top or on the side of the swingarm. If I do mount them on the side, I will take that into account when I make the upper shock mounts.

Back