Moving to Gold Canyon AZ

Royboy

many roads, little time
Reaction score
North Central MN / Gold Canyon AZ (seasonal tramp)
In about a month we'll be moving to Gold Canyon, Arizona for the winter. I'll be taking the 78'SE with me. Looking for members to connect with there for rides and wrenching or whatever. If you're in that area I'd like to here from you. PM me. :thumbsup:

roy

E-mail me and maybe we can meet up in Casa Grande and ride some where.

From PHX? That would take 4-6 hrs one way. Depending on traffic, cruising speed and how many stops for gas, soda, food and such.

Good choice, the winters are starting to get to me also. Will be moving to Idaho in a few years when I retire. Winters are much more mild and less humidity in summer

I will be moving to PHX this winter and just as a side question, is it realistic to commute solely on a motorcycle year round? What should I plan on?

I will be moving to PHX this winter and just as a side question, is it realistic to commute solely on a motorcycle year round? What should I plan on?
Air conditioning!:laugh:
I went to high school in Apache Junction (35~40 miles east, and just a couple miles n/w of where Royboy is going) back in the 70's and only had a motorcycle for transportation. The 120f summer temperature didn't bother me back then, but there's no way I could do it on a daily basis today.
There are a few cold/rainy days in the winter. A good jacket and gloves make that doable.

If your super hard core, you can ride every day. Just be aware of 120 F summer days, monsoon season(July-Sept,Oct.), haboos, crowded roads with crazy drivers. They are building highways,byways like L.A.. Once you get out the metropolitan area there's some good riding roads.

Hey I live on the west side of the city out in Goodyear opposite of Gold Canyon. Man, I don't know if you have ever visited here in the summer before but the heat is brutal. I always thought moving here sounded like a great idea but now I hate to see the summer come as much as you probably hate the Minnesota winter. There are lots of people here who think its a great place to live but they probably set inside all summer by the A/C. Most of us are garage guys and being in the garage that time of year is no fun unless you are lucky enough to have an air conditioned garage. Riding? I harldy ever ride in the summer because its miserable. If your bike is outside for any length of time your seat will get so hot it will burn your ass when you get on it. Winter is the riding time here. If I'm able I'm going to move up in Northern Arizona where the summer is much cooler. I would suggest an oil cooler for the bike. Welcome to the inferno. You will love the winter here. Traffic's a bitch.
jefft

Last edited:
I spent some summer time out in the Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale areas 20 years ago. Brutal. I'll never forget the number of radiator shops. During wintertime visits, the area was stuffed with snowbirds (get that here as well).

We've had some nice rain from that Baja hurricane recently, the whole area around here is greening up nicely. Looked like the southern AZ (Tucson) and southern NM areas got dumped on. Hows that affecting y'all? Flooding aftermath? Expecting a green Autumn?

We, in Tucson, got some of that rain but not as much as they were worried about getting. Most of it was east of us. The weather sayers are predicting chance of showers this WE. Last Monsoon hurrah. Personally, I doubt it. I'll be glad when we get back to our normal 9% humidity
110 in June-July is not uncommon. 100 days plus of over 100F temps in a row is brutal. Good luck finding a shaded parking space. You either ride early morning or after dusk.
Green now? OH yeah, we got green grass and trees and lots of it.

OK, brought the 78' SE (and a bunch of other stuff) down here last few days. (1750 miles). Going back to MN tomorrow with the truck and an empty trailer. Will be back to stay in 3 weeks. Temps are still hot at about 100 during the afternoons but have been assured that that will end by the middle of Oct.

Here is a pic taken last week as I gave the SE her last MN outing.

roy

Attachments

• Sept 20 2014 Last MN ride for 78'SE 002.jpg
    Sept 20 2014 Last MN ride for 78'SE 002.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 142
Say goodbye to those beautiful trees. Hope brown is your favorite color. Thats the color everything incinerated turns and the only color of the houses here. All jokes aside, I hope you enjoy your stay. You'll be riding all winter in a t-shirt.
jefft

Haha thanks for the input. I'm not exactly sure where i'll end up, but I know it will be somewhere South with sunny weather (I'm flight instructor). Just waiting on surgery for my hand before the move.

Awww c'mon now! Last 2 weekends PHX has flooded with rain from a tropical low and a cold front. There's trees in the mountains that are turning color. Green grass on all the golf courses. Even in my own yards! LOL

Back