Muffler Bracket

grepper

fiddle futzer
Reaction score
Thought I'd share my little bit of engineering I did yesterday.
I have a set of Dunstall/Comando replica type mufflers on my 78 on a set of XS Performance pipes. Originally, I had it mounted to the passenger foot peg bracket, but only one hole from the foot peg reached the slider mount on the muffler. Last year I had one come loose. I just bolted it up again. This season, I really want it to have a better mount. For one thing the bolts that go into the slider mount on the muffler where a bit loose fitting. So I went down to the local hardware store with my muffler and found bigger bolts. The head didn't even fit in the slider opening, so I ground down two oposite sides of four bolts on my bench grinder so they just barley fit in. I took some bar stock, drilled two holes for the two in the foot peg mount and one more for the muffler slider. So I have two in the muffler mount slider, and two on the peg mount. Did a little shaping to make it look good and painted them silver.
full

It's super solid now! Also, the spacers for going from a 1 1/2 pipe to 1 3/4 muffler that came with the mufflers were those multiple bands. I got proper one piece spaces from MikesXS and clamped them down with some heavy duty Harley claps. Plus, I polished the chrome with some Blue-Job. Pipes look real good, the mounting is super solid, and no leaks.

Yes, those sliding tracks never seem to be mounted forward enough to match up to the hanger. I swapped on XS500 hanger/peg brackets. Their front muffler mount hole is a bit further back .....

XS500PipeHanger.jpg

Still, it didn't quite make the track .....

SlideTrack2.jpg

I also fabbed up a solid steel bar w/ threaded holes to slip into the track. This holds much better than just bolt heads. MikesXS sells one but it's easy enough to make your own. The bar spreads the load and clamping force over it's entire length.

That design cross my mind. I looked at the threaded bar from Mike's, but I doubted the holes were spaced to fit the foot pegs. As for making my own, that crossed my mind too, but opted for the easier to make design. Either way, we are much better off.

Before I made the solid bar, I had problems with the bolt heads breaking out of the sliding track. You've improved yours but keep an eye on it. It may not be "XS Proof" yet, lol.

Back