Wanted - Mufflers

schpud

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for a set of 2 stock mufflers for an 80 Special II. Don't need to be perfect, just looking for someone getting rid of them on the cheap. Just need to put them on to pass inspection, as I'm currently running a set of fairly loud 12" shorty mufflers. I went to a scrapyard by me and the guy wanted $100 each for a set of mufflers with holes rusted through because "ayuup they aint makun dem muffla anymur." Cheaper the better.

What state are you in? Do they actually use a decibel meter, or do they look or probe for a baffle, or do they actually have to be stock pipes?

I think I have a set of stock pipes laying around from a 79, you can have them for the cost of shipping from MN, if interested.

What state are you in? Do they actually use a decibel meter, or do they look or probe for a baffle, or do they actually have to be stock pipes?

The law in ME says if it doesn't have a muffler that prevents "excessive noise." So basically, it's whatever the opinion is of who is inspecting it. I have mufflers, but you could still say it's excessive. I've read other things that say it can't be louder than stock. It's pretty vague. You can thank these goons:
http://www.mecalm.org/noisestories.html
In other words, waaah I bought a million dollar home by the beach and people are making noise and I'm an old fart.

I think I have a set of stock pipes laying around from a 79, you can have them for the cost of shipping from MN, if interested.

Do you know how much that would be, I"d check myself by I don't really know what the weight or size of the package would be.

baffle.jpg

I made these baffles for a friend with a 1972 Honda CB350 who had super-short straight pipes, and needed some back pressure. Super easy to make, and adjustable by adding or subtracting bolts. No drilling of the pipes for a set screw required, they stay in place by friction of the spread out ends. They are made from thin-wall EMT tubing. These are only 6" long.

I made a similar 14" long set for the straight pipes an my XS650. They improved my low-end power tremendously, my bike is now a joy to ride. I could never get it jetted right until I made my baffles.

You could make a set and wrap them with glass or Chore Boy before inserting them. Maybe that would quiet things enough. Then, just pull them out after inspection.

I have heard of a cop who uses a "tape measure test." If a tape measure slides freely into your pipe, you get a ticket. This baffle passes that test.

Back