my 79 cafe build

So i got my spoked wheels installed and rolling
the drum was a little bit of a headache , but it turns out that the disk swingarm can be used for the drum wheel.

The tab on that swing arm is in the correct location on top , just have to bend the brake stay a little to meet up with the drum mounting point.

All that was needed was a 1/2 " spacer on the brake side
and i used the disk brake pivot arm but swapped out the drum rod.

so far so good
, p.s. anyone in the vancouver area going to the classic show and shine this sunday 17 in tsawwassen?
IMG_1103.JPG

thanks man
i checked out your build ,im totally envious of your wheel set up they look mint
it's looking killer. what's the pink stuff you used to clean your shocks ?

It's called "Naval Jelly". You can find it at ace or most any hardware store. If it isn't the neon pink gelatin like substance then take it back. Only the pink goo is the magic stuff.

It's the best stuff to remove rust from something you don't want to scratch. Fork tubes, etc. It just eats the rust right in front of your eyes.

Thanks for the words. Spending every available hour on the build to get it running before next weekend.

pACE3-1569160dt.jpg

so i got my bike rolling and new mini speedo works , rear drum works perfect just need a little spring to put tension the foot leaver.

going to the swap meet on sunday hopefully i can find that headlight bucket so i can house the speedo in it as well as all the indicators.

added some flare too my bike
and found the best spot for the speedo , right in place of the ignition switch
Photo Apr 26, 5 17 17 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 27, 7 57 44 PM.jpg
i also added a 6" headlight from a 70's triumph

also picked up some white edge tape and checker tape ill pin strip with paint if i like the white.
maybe add a number on the back.
Photo Apr 27, 7 57 22 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 27, 7 57 14 PM.jpg

You say you used the disc brake pivot shaft? I don't think you will like it. The brake pedal will have to move way to far to get the brake to work.
The disc brake shaft has a short arm, the drum brake has a long arm.
You'll see what I mean the first time you use the brake.
Leo

Can we get a pic of your back brake setup, please? Something don't sound right. You had to bend the stay? Won't that try to straighten up when you put on the binder? The brake is effectivly upside down. Doesn't that mess up the linkage geometry to apply the brake? Hmmmm....

here is the set up i'm running,
stock rear drum spoked wheels
stock disk swing arm
drum pedal arm
and disk steady arm

so a removed the break pedal shaft and swapped out the disk master cylinder rod attachment arm, for the drum brake rod attachment arm.
Photo May 11, 1 23 42 PM.jpg

i then revolved the brake shoe assembly plate. to line up with the disk tension bar
roughly top center ( i will be making a new one , or ill try and bend the stock one)
and attached it
Photo May 11, 1 23 07 PM.jpg

then revolved the camshaft lever to neutral position, an attached the brake rod
Photo May 11, 1 23 37 PM.jpg

then i adjusted the brake pedal
Photo May 11, 1 23 23 PM.jpg

and it works and stops

Back