My 81' XS650 Chopper & Intro

Been looking at a bell moto helmet but DAYUMMMMMMMM Dude is it suppose to be that big?

I have the helmet gutted so I can reline and paint it. So it just looks huge. It's a Large though. 7 1/8 I believe.

I'm only 5.9 too, and a small head.

A deal fell through on a rephased motor. Sucks. Would have ended up costing me too much anyway, so no big deal.

I'm going to pull my engine apart next weekend to replace the cam chain and tensioner/stop. Was thinking about that Big Bore kit. If I had thought about it when I ordered my cam chain parts I probably would have got it.

Maybe someone is selling something here... I'll have to check the classifieds.

Did you get the bike wired yet? Like to see your wiring diagram. I know there are about a million and one on here but at least I know your bike works. Going to order a PMA soon. Pretty stoked about that. Prolly wire it this winter after I get all my ducks lined up.

Did you get the bike wired yet? Like to see your wiring diagram. I know there are about a million and one on here but at least I know your bike works. Going to order a PMA soon. Pretty stoked about that. Prolly wire it this winter after I get all my ducks lined up.

It's dead simple with the PMA and Pamco. Even with just the PMA it's simple. I used one of the many diagrams from this site.

Basically:

Three yellow from PMA to Reg/Rec. Black from Reg/Rec to ground on the cap. Red from Reg/Rec to + on the cap with 20amp inline fuse. Ground to the frame. Power from cap to switch. From switch to 7.5amp fuse to coil and Pamco. Pamco to other side of coil and ground. From switch to 10amp fuse to lights. Someday I'll run another from switch 10amp fuse and then to blinkers.

That's about all it is.

PS, Make sure your motor has a good ground to frame. Make sure all your connections are soldered. I kept burning up lights and found that my grounds sucked due to paint. I ground all the paint off the motor mounts and it runs great now.

Sissybar and painted bars today.

DA95C4BB-6A4D-459B-8F4F-942533DF5D9A.jpg

2D41A7B7-0E1F-4BDC-A200-D52A4B45334B.jpg

I've noticed that my bike is running lean now. Little popping on decel, but the plugs look good.

I have two guesses:

1. fuel filters are clogged up.
2. now that I have a good ground to the motor it's burning the fuel better.

I'll check the filters first, re-check the pilot screw, then re-jet if I need to. I did go one up on the mains when I cleaned my carb before getting my bike together.

Last edited:
Well... I didn't make it to Born Free.

About 100 miles out at a gas station I broke my knee while starting my bike after topping off the tank.

For some reason, brain damage I guess, I pulled the clutch in as I was kicking it started. I jumped up, when to kick it, and pulled the clutch in. Full force kick down and then I couldn't walk any more. Almost dropped the bike on me.

So I've been on crutches all week icing my knee. I'm going to the doc in a few days to find out what I did to it. ACL, Fracture, Cartilage tear, could be any of those.

Just be careful kickstarting your bikes. Gesh of all things to get hurt.

Oh, and it was my birthday too. Awesome day I had.

There is always next year.

PS, the bike ran perfect and I was really happy with it.

Damn dude! That sounds crazy. Did it just kick back to hard? One of my bikes I plan to do kick-only makes me want to re-think putting an e-starter. I hurt my ankle a few times with the kick backs. Hope you get better man.

Well... I didn't make it to Born Free.

About 100 miles out at a gas station I broke my knee while starting my bike after topping off the tank.

For some reason, brain damage I guess, I pulled the clutch in as I was kicking it started. I jumped up, when to kick it, and pulled the clutch in. Full force kick down and then I couldn't walk any more. Almost dropped the bike on me.

So I've been on crutches all week icing my knee. I'm going to the doc in a few days to find out what I did to it. ACL, Fracture, Cartilage tear, could be any of those.

Just be careful kickstarting your bikes. Gesh of all things to get hurt.

Oh, and it was my birthday too. Awesome day I had.

There is always next year.

PS, the bike ran perfect and I was really happy with it.

Well, I should be walking in another four weeks. Tore my MCL. Can't wait. Hope to make the fall Street Vibrations in Reno. Might still be on crutches but I should be able to ride. Might have to have someone start my bike for me. lol

Just hit 5000 miles on my XS! Not bad for being broken half the time I've owned it. This last 1000 miles has been problem free. Time to change the oil again.

I'm going to be cruising it around Street Vibrations next week in Virginia City and Reno/Sparks.

Just hit 5000 miles on my XS! Not bad for being broken half the time I've owned it. This last 1000 miles has been problem free. Time to change the oil again.

I'm going to be cruising it around Street Vibrations next week in Virginia City and Reno/Sparks.

That's a great milestone man!! Well done!! Hope she carries on like that!!:bike::thumbsup:

Back