My Bobber Design - What do people think?

Ha,Ha,ha, you have caught the xs650 bug real bad, now you won't be able to stop the buying and get to do any work because you won't know where to start :laugh:

The one thing i do know, Porting and polishing these heads are a no no unless you really know what you are doing.

Ha,Ha,ha, you have caught the xs650 bug real bad, now you won't be able to stop the buying and get to do any work because you won't know where to start :laugh:

The one thing i do know, Porting and polishing these heads are a no no unless you really know what you are doing.

True I have caught the bug, I will be able to stop buying soon though 'cos the money will have run out!! Way, way, way over budget!!

And I have no idea where to start, or which bike to do what to or bob/chop/cafe and which to sell. I have big plans for the bobber, and have a heap of parts collected, but think I may have to go cafe and quickly get clubmans, cafe seat and tank, so I have one to ride ASAP.

Will just have to wait until it all arrives. Got a message this morning and nearly lost the deal. Guy decided it was to much work to box all the bits up (at the agreed price)..and wanted to do it pick up. I pointed out I was in Melb for from QLD, bought it stating it was to be delivered, had no more money to offer and did he really want someone rummaging through his garage boxing up pieces and what ever else they might take a fancy to?

Anyway came home to an email saying all was good he could see I really wanted the bikes, and he was going on Holidays and would make arrangements when he gets back after easter. So while it is a bummer I won't be able to get a start over Easter it is great news it is still going ahead.

More boxes arrived today one with my Ducati tank for another build, which came in original wrapping, with some unexpected surprises, including a set of italian grips, a spark plug, engine brackets, a battery rubber, chrome fender strut, and a few other bits.

I also got my custom pipes I designed, made by Gordonscott, great guy and new long distance friend! He also sourced me a rear sprocket!

Some Pics

Attachments

• bits3.jpg
    bits3.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 94
  • bits.jpg
    bits.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 96
  • bits2.jpg
    bits2.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 105
  • bits4.jpg
    bits4.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 73
  • bits6.jpg
    bits6.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 101
  • bits7.jpg
    bits7.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 86
After all the bits that came extra, it didn't come with a cap for the tank.

Need to smooth out the welds in the pipes. Any suggestions on what grit to use? or best methods??

Hope fully the hard tail will happen soon so I can start work on the bike.

You can port and polish these heads but you in my opinion gaining so little that you are just better to recut valves and put better springs in. I have port and polished one up and put it on a 750 kit and cam and yes it did feel stronger but could not really tell if it was cam-port-kit that made the difference.
I think if you were going full race motor yes its a great idea but for a street bike i would spend my money on CARBS/Electronics to have a good sound running bike that is not going to break down and i think that is number one on everyones list.
Hear anything about your frame??? Still waiting on my customers frame.

Geodonscott- Got your email. Was thinking if I want to chrome the pipes I should try to blend them. I'm fussy I know. Very happy with them. Can't wait to put them on something.

DaddyG- nope nothin on the frame. Hope he has skipped town with all our deposits!

Ok here is the start of my heat shields, for the curved pipes I had made.

Wrapped the brass in masking tape to protect it. Scribed dead centre for the split line.

Now I have a dilemma, Not sure where to go from here.

A. Split the pipe into the two halves then drill
B. Drill before splitting

Both have pros and cons. With Splitting the pipe into the two halves then drilling, the pipe has more structural integrity and less likely to collapse. However if I drill first then the two halves will be identical.

Suggestions???

Oh in the last pic I got he dimensions around the wrong way on the small diagram.

More here:
http://theflyingxs.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• IMG_0359 copy.jpg
    IMG_0359 copy.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0362 copy.jpg
    IMG_0362 copy.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0351 copy.jpg
    IMG_0351 copy.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 103
There coming…………3 Amigos
Bikes depart from Hervey Bay QLD at 2pm today…….finally after all the mucking around the 3 amigos start the 4 day journey to Melbourne for a make over and new life.

Apparently George put the bikes back together (not running) to save some space and boxes. Which is cool as it will make life easier for me to know what belongs to each bike. Photo sent from his phone to mine.

Got a 28 Day unregistered vehicle permit from Vic roads, so I can ride the "Naked Lady" as the previous owner calls her, aka Flame Bike, home and get her RWC & reg. Of course Vic roads didn't email out the permit I have to carry on me. They did however charge my credit card. I also lodged a query via the website, as I didn't have another hour to wait on the phone. No response yet can take unto 7 days according to website……Great public service!

Looking forward to finally getting to make a start on the bikes, even if it is cold and wet……not much fun for riding but have been a full time rider before. I will get used to it……..Good thing about wearing a helmet, easier to ignore the missus complaining about the cold! heh heh

Attachments

• IMG_0307.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 94
Back