my build is rolling....

just a little update... got a new sissy bar done today and had a fun day at the shop just working away... here's some photos....

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2778.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

my bike rules... (i think haha)

pps anyone have a good idea where to get a gas tank pressure tested, i think i read somewhere (online) that a radiator shop will pressure test a tank.....

Plug all openings, fill with about 5 lbs of air, dunk in a large tank, watch for bubbles. weld wear the bubbles come from.
Leo

alfredo, the bars are home made. i've got a jd2 bender, makes fabbing them pretty easy. probably into them for seventy bucks of mat'l plus time welding etc.

xsleo. i think i read more like thirty somewhere, but that's read, and what my mind remembers (could be way off though)

prosimex, it'll be comfiest with the ole' lady on the back rubbing my shoulders (haha)

beau, the old bars were nice and comfy. did four hours at one time with them and had only the normal hardtail bustin' pains.

5lbs should be plenty. There is no significant pressure inside the tank, unless the cap vent is plugged. Then when the sun shines on the tank, the heat expands the fuel a bit, the air much more.
This pressure can cause a weak float valve to leak.
Once no air bubbles are seen, a tank sealer will take care of any real tiny leaks, just get as many as you can welded up.
Leo

thanks xsleo. gotta track down a 1-1/4 x 12 bottoming tap to clean the threads on the filler neck. then try adn figure out how to pressure test it. i'm thinking plug the filler neck and then adapt a regulator onto a 1/4 npt fitting where the petcock would go....

I used one one of these... Rubber plug for pool lines. Pull the hardware off it, insert a small pipe hooked to your airgun, push it into the filler opening, wind a small gauge into the petcock outlet, and your good to go.

P2999.JPG

Like $2 from your local pool supply house.

hey prosimex, nope it doesn't burn her leg at all. the passenger peg is right above the exhaust, but doesn't burn anything, her foot manages just fine.

Brother, good suggestion, I was gonna say that parts stores sell rubber expansion plugs like that to replace freeze plugs on cars. They come in many sizes. Take the tank with you find one that fits the filler neck. It should expand enough to seal the filler neck.
Using the petcock itself might work. Use a hose on the petcock, add the air, close the petcock.
Leo

thanks for all the help guys. i'm hoping to work on the pressure test over the thanksgiving weekend. hopefully i'll have some new happy photos of the tank on the bike, and the license plate/taillight bracket welded to the sissy bar as well....then it's time for a quick test ride before getting torn down for paint and powder..... which means updates will start getting slow.... stupid winter

paint update.... tanks done, frames done waiting for the exaust paint to dry.... gotta pick up a capacitor as my battery is fried. bike mostly done... and it's like sixty eight outside right now...

preview_image_0_49200102x.jpg

preview_image_0_90949722x.jpg

preview_image_0_53397572x.jpg

preview_image_0_12611842x.jpg

preview_image_0_44669072x.jpg

Back