My Build thread - 1980 XS650 Special II

BigJimmyW13

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Alright guys bear with me on redoing a post for here.

Well this is my first motorcycle and first motorcycle build. Here in College Station, TX if anyone is nearby feel free to PM and maybe we can get together on builds.

Thread on 650rider:

My 80 XS650 Project - First Motorcycle - Period

Well here it is. Let me know what you think so far.

This pic is of the bike running batteryless. The light being on is a feeling of accomplishment for me :-D

Last edited:
That's why I am going to come camp in your garage!

Unfortunately, I got a call from the shop I took the bike into to fix the Dellortos. They said that they got them tuned and working great with the bike. Problem is now there is no spark... So tomorrow I'm going to pick it up and start troubleshooting it.

Last edited:
Sounds fishy... It was working fine while they tuned the carbs and now no spark? Can't the shop figure out the spark problem?

Just looking at a pic or two of your forward controls.. you should put a couple of washers or a spacer between the frame and the mounting bracket at the top mounting hole so the pegs tilt down to be level. Or is it just the angle of the one pic that makes it look tilted up? :shrug:

Well depends on which pic. If it's the last pic, then that's because the plate on the right side that I made to attach them is bent. The washers are already there. I had to bend it back. I have 2 (two) 200lb mastiffs.... They decided it would be good fun playing over there one day and knocked the bike completely over.

It sounds fishy to me too, but it really depends on why it's not getting spark. If it is some kind of failure not their fault - I will be paying them to do something I could do myself. Trust me though I am going to get onto the lady that runs the place. They fixed the old carbs... Then asked me if I wanted them to tune the dellortos.... I was like WTF else would I bring the dellortos in for and tell ya'll that I don't care about the current carbs? oh well. They'll be in for a rude awakening if I do come to find it was their fault that it's getting no spark bc I will notify them that they owe me parts and labor to fix their screw up. If they refuse to pay.. I will file a small claim against them. Simple as that.

However, intuition tells me that it may very well be the stator or rotor.

Last edited:
Jimmy, now that 650rider is back up, might pay for you to have a read in the pamco section. That must have covered most eventualities with the pamco iggy. Also I notice Pete has recently become a member here.............:cheers:

Yeah I do plan on it. Just have to get the bike back first and get the full explanation of what happened. I wasn't there so not entirely sure.

Like I said though. It definitely ran before. Had hot spark and all. So we'll see. For all I know the capacitor is shot. That's why I followed pete's instructions on where and what fuses to use. Also originally testing everything on separate lines.

- i like fuses too...have no unprotected circuits...they save a lot of heartache, of course you need to ask yourself why ones blown in the first place

Well he fuses aren't blown. I hooked the ignition up to a battery and still no spark. Attached is the diagram of what I used to test. Except that I used a 7.5amp fuse.

Attachments

• xs650-1-3.jpg
    xs650-1-3.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,306
Well for good measure I went ahead and ordered another Pamco today. Hopefully he will get it to me forthwith since I have a tonsillectomy on Thursday morning...

yeah I agree, but actually I'm still flip flopping with putting the stock fork length back on. A board track bobber mutant look. Not sure yet. We'll see. Worst case scenario is I run these for awhile see how I like them. (once I get it running again) Then try the stock length for awhile and see which I like more.

For all I know the capacitor is shot. /QUOTE]

I didn't think the pamco unit used the capacitor, perhaps that's where I went wrong:confused:

I'll have to stop going on the computer on an evening (brain confussed) thinking of condenser not copacitor:cheers:

Last edited:
- they dont use a condensor, as do points...however condensors are capacitors-or capacitors are condensors...you can, though, run a pamco with a larger capacitor replacing the battery

Update! It was the ignition that fried, but I actually think it was b/c some of oil/grease I put on advance rod splattered up onto the chip. Just a theory though.

Back