My "Gentleman's Express" update thread

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Several years ago, we hauled home a parts bike...and another bike...and another bike. At the time, I had built several custom XS's; cafe' racer, Brat bike, etc. I thought I wanted a stock bike, so I combined the parts of three bikes and built a '75/'78 Combo bike.

The build thread is here:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620&highlight=75/78+combo+bike

This was probably the longest build I've ever done. I've built VW's faster than this bike! The tank and side covers sat in "paint jail" for a year. The project just dragged on and on...
I got into CB500/550's for a while and kept building and riding.
Then , when it was done, there was a top-end noise. The bike ran great, but had a loud noise that just isn't right. The last time I rode it, it was exhibiting an unwillingness to rev. I rode her home, drained the tank and float bowls and took the tag/insurance off her. That's the way she's sat for about a year.

I finally decided it's time to press onward. Went out yesterday and rigged up a gas source, kicked her over and checked for oil on the top end. She's definitely oiling up there, so I'm stumped as to what the problem is. I guess it's going to take an autopsy.

This is how she looked when I started:
P2060027Small.jpg

And this is how she looks today:
PA110044Small.jpg

The engine is ready to pull as soon as I get an extra set of hands. The oil around the head and barrels is from checking for oiling. There were no leaks previously.

In case you're curious about the name, it comes from an article I stumbled across while building SOHC4 Hondas. It's from a November 1975 Cycle magazine article.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20601.0

I realized that I'm not really a stock guy. The bike isn't really a 1975 model and never will be. There are minor improvents that I can make that will help the look, comfort and performance.

The plan:
- Better rear shocks
- Brembo caliper and master cylinder upgrade
- Euro handlebars
- Smaller turn signals
- A comfier seat
- Commando pipes
- Better gauges

...and more.

I picked up a set of Euro bars from a forum member here. They already have internal wiring and the correct controls for this bike. I'll probably detail the controls a little bit.

PA110048Small.jpg

I've collected the parts for the Brembo caliper upgrade. I already have braided stainless steel lines. The rear already has EBC pads and works great.

PA110049.jpg

The front forks have already been rebuilt. I added a spacer and a little extra oil to firm them up. Improved handling immensly.

PC120018Small.jpg

PC260031Small.jpg

I have plans for the rear shocks. Stay tuned....

don't know what your top end noise is, but with the unwillingness to rev, it's probably cam chain or valves. go ahead and pull the engine and tear down the top end, it does not take very long.

I pulled my engine by myself. Hooked a chain to the top motor mount bolts, and used a comealong over a 2x8. the 2x8 was supported on a step ladder I put over the bike. Worked like a charm.

Before you go pulling your engine, have you checked your valve chain adjustment and valve clearance? If there loose you will get a wicked noise out of them.

That was the first thing I checked. I've adjusted them at least three times and never found anything out of whack. I wondered if maybe it's an oiling problem. That' s why I checked for top end oiling. The unwillingness to rev reminds me of some flat cam symptoms I recall from my air cooled VW days.

Picked up some goody's at Barber. There are great deals to be had in the swap meet!

PA150001Small.jpg

Nifty, NOS fuel gauge gas cap. Not 100% sure if I'll use this or not.

PA150002Small.jpg

PA150004Small.jpg

Turn signals. Got these in a package deal with some 400F footpegs for one of my CB's (factory parts that can be used for "rear sets" on the CB500/550s)>

PA150003Small.jpg

You checked the valve clearances?

Read up two posts. Only about a hundred times. No...seriously....at least four times. And the cam chain. And making sure it's getting oil up there.
I'm just going to have to tear it apart and see what's up.

I'm planning on swapping in the '72 "long rod" 256 engine we have. I'll tear into the '78 engine this Winter.

Here's the seat I plan on running. It was on a parts bike I bought. Very nice leather, padding etc. Super comfy and still looks OK, IMO.

PA160005Small.jpg

PA160006Small.jpg

Spent some time last night taping up the controls on the Euro bars. Covered up all the lettering for the kill switch, light switches, etc., and gave them a coat of semi-gloss black.

PA160008Small.jpg

PA160009Small.jpg

PA160010Small.jpg

These are the grips I prefer. Randakks sells them as his "Super Grips" or something like that, but they're really just ProGrip 714's. Great look and feel awesome.

PA160007Small.jpg

Installed the grips today and reviewed my wiring in the headlight bucket (remember....this is a '78 frame/engine/wiring harness with '75 controls) and was all set to install the new bars.
Removed the old bars and asked my girlfriend to assist me while I installed the Euros. Turned my back to get the Allen wrench and heard a CLANG!

The bars slipped off the counter and landed RIGHT ON THE KILL SWITCH!! AAAARRGGHH!!!!

Not only did it bust up the switch, it broke the contact plate inside. Luckily, I have a RH control that I saved from a '74 parts bike. It's really rough inside, but the kill switch and contact plate are nice.
Question: If I melt the solder on the back of the contact plate, what happens to the little brass (copper?) contacts? Will they stay on the plate or will they fall out?
Should I just cut/splice the wires instead?

PA170016Small.jpg

Seriously....I was literally two minutes from being done with installing the bars! DOH!

Luckily, my girlfriend has a side job assembling electronics. She has steady hands and lots of experience soldering.
We were able to repair the RH control kill switch. Pictured are some of the tiny springs, clips and ball bearings that are the workings behind your kill switch. Not shown are two teeny-tiny C-clips. I've rebuilt several Honda controls. It REALLY helps to have three hands and a lot of patience when doing this sort of work.

PA180019Small.jpg

Some before and afters, comparing the stock vs. Euro bars. I still have to do the wiring inside the headlight bucket. I'll probably get to that this weekend.

PA170012Small.jpg

PA180020Small.jpg

PA170013Small.jpg

PA180021Small.jpg

Back