My new bike, mild mod, first I have to get it running right

If the bore of the m/c is smooth I don't mind using rebuild kits.
You WILL need to remove the plastic cup to clean under under it imo.
But to each their own.

IMG_20130415_132113_1.jpg

Old pieces on top, new pieces on the bottom. Does this order look right? The bore looks plenty smooth.

IMG_20130415_135117.jpg

Got the reservoir off. The O-Ring looks okay, I'm hoping it's not reason for the leak. When I reassemble I should use brake fluid to lubricate the seals? I was planning on degreasing it with some denatured alcohol, taking care of all the corrosion and rust, and then rinsing it clean with water and letting it dry before I reinstall the new rebuilt kit. I should use brake fluid to lubricate the seals, correct? After it's all installed, I was then going to mask and paint it.

I got your PM gggGary. Thanks!

While I was cleaning out the bore I found this chunk of broken spring. I think I have the order right, based upon the parts fische, but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

IMG_20130415_151840.jpg

Yes, that boot goes on last, after the washer and clip go in to hold the piston in place.

Yup move the clip in front of the boot and that looks right.

Just have to ask; are you glad you took it apart now?

Nothing like watching paint dry. I used duplicolor caliper paint.

IMG_20130415_170929.jpg

I'm absolutely glad I took it apart. Not nearly as intimidating as I thought, and now I know how to service it in the future. In the meantime here's some better pictures of the bike after it's bath. Aluminum foil and water really does wonders on chrome. I also swapped out the grips for avon knurled rubber grips.

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

Thanks!

I bought an aerosol can of engine cleaner and a stiff nylon bristle brush to clean up the motor, but didn't get around to it yet. Anything I should worry about when using that stuff?

The clear on the fork lowers has aged to a sort of putrid yellow/green, I'll address that eventually. I'm just excited to ride it!

BWHAHAHAHA is that photochopped or did you really shave to hang that on there??
Your bike is looking nice. You going to fill in the tank or get new badges?

I realized after I uploaded my photos to picassa that my license plate number was visible. I opened up their photo editor and they have a small selection of silly mustaches to overlay on top of photos, so I used one to obscure my plate. :D

I'm custom making new badges for the tank at work using our laser cutter. I'll get more info on that soon. Thanks for the kind words!

Yup, you got it. I got it yesterday, with a nice big hole in the front. Instead of fighting with the seller I repaired it myself using high strength fabric adhesive and a patch made from a piece of vinyl I got from work. I don't have a picture of the final repair, but it butts up against the seat and you can't see it.

My impression of the seat are as follows. The vinyl is thin, not particularly high quality, the seat pan itself looks like it was fiberglassed over the original, and is very light weight. The foam is cheap, open celled foam that isn't particularly comfortable. I'm going to fight the seller and see if he's willing to discount the seat because of the gigantic tear. He knows that a lot of potential customers are considering this seat, so I'm going to see if I can leverage that.

IMG_20130418_180757.jpg

IMG_20130418_180809.jpg

IMG_20130418_181331.jpg

It does mount up without any issue, and the existing lock and hinges work flawlessly.

I also installed the repaired master cylinder and bled the brakes. They seem to be rubbing. A good sign I need to clean out the caliper, huh?

Back