My new bike, mild mod, first I have to get it running right

Not really, it will vary depending on what bars you're using. Best to measure for your particular conditions. I find an easy way to do this is to get about a 4 foot length of common household electrical wiring (10, 12, or 14-2 or -3) and pull one of the solid copper strands out of it. Use that as a "template" to lay out how your line will run and what length it needs to be. Run it from the MC down to the caliper routed and with the bends in it that you'll need. The wire is stiff enough to hold any curves and bends you want to put in it. Mark the end (or cut the wire) for the length you need, pull it out, straighten and measure. It's not a bad idea to add an inch or two to your measurement just to be safe and not end up with a line too short. That little bit of extra can be easily absorbed up behind the headlight if need be.

Since you're going 1 piece and eliminating the junction block on the lower triple tree, I recommend fabbing up a little line guide to bolt in it's place. The two holes are already drilled and tapped there for you .....

BrakeLineGuide.jpg

Neat idea for the line guide---thanks tim

So while I'm waiting on my brake line, I'm going to go ahead and do an oil change. I bought some regular old 20w50 at wally world, any harm in not using something motorcycle specific?

I was going to go ahead and clean the sump filter and that little filter on the side. What should I use to clean these? Brake cleaner?

Thanks!

I use the Walmart brand oil and quite like it. Since the filtering system is so crude, the best thing you can do for these bikes is change the oil often, like every 1000 miles. Any type of solvent is OK for cleaning the filters. I use kerosene.

I used the WalMart 20w50. It works fine. They quit selling it in the 5 qt jugs a few years ago and in the qt jugs shortly after.
I now use The Valvolene 20w50 motorcycle oil from Advanced Auto.
I agree with 5twins on the oil change intervals. I sometimes go as far as 1500 miles but never as far as 2000 miles between changes.
Leo

So I spent a little time making up some badges for the tank. I don't like the original gold ones, contrasts too much with the chrome. I really like the old school badges from the original '68, so I found a decent enough image and traced it. I'm going to lasercut these at work, the base layer will be black plexi, and the top layer will be a mirrored/chrome plexi.

Right now the spacing is not finalized for the holes (I'm out of town, killing time at the airport), but when I get a chance to get a measurement I can upload the vector linework for all to enjoy.

screencap.jpg

I think you're on the wrong kind of site for that kind of stuff. We're more about fixing these bikes up and getting them running good. I'm sure there's a graphics arts site somewhere that might appreciate that stuff more, here it's falling mostly on deaf ears.

Ignore 5twins this morning, he got into one beer too many last night, I want to see the badge progress, that is cool!

This clamp is available all over for less than a buck. does a nice job and looks good IMHO.

brakelineclamp.JPG

Hah, yeah, sometimes people are into the little cosmetic things. Fortunately for me, I have access to a laser cutter, but if people wanted to make some, they could use a service like Ponoko (www.ponoko.com) to cut the pieces, and all you would have to do is assemble them with some sort of plexi solvent (we use Weld-On at work). I'm not sure how much it would cost, the material should only cost about 12 dollars, it should come in less than 25 dollars shipped.

I can also offer my CAD skills to anybody who needs help with a project. I can make engineering drawings for machinists and also create CAD to rapid prototype from (laser cutting, water jetting, CNC). Particularly anybody who might be interested in things such as upgraded caliper brackets.

Particularly anybody who might be interested in things such as upgraded caliper brackets.

You must be a mind reader! I'm reading your post thinking aha custom caliper brackets and BAM it's the next thing you mention!

It's good to have plenty of stopping power. The only other thing I was thinking about was rearsets, but I want to keep the bike suitable for 2 up riding.

If you had a particular caliper/rotor upgrade in mind (preferably something plentiful, and affordable) let me know, we could work on some custom brackets.

I do, the caliper I have in mind is the Suzuki two piston as used on the SV650 they are common as dirt and about that cheap to find. They are not 4 piston so there is plenty of clearance on the back with spoke wheels, that, a common 6 bolt rotor and a stainless steel line, mmm good brakes for cheap. I'd have to do the math but it might even work well with the stock XS master cylinder.

$T2eC16F,!ygE9s7HHg1pBQjdqGOdkw~~60_57.jpg

Got my brake line in the mail today!

It seems like a nice piece, the straight end has a swivel to prevent the line from twisting when installed. I want to go ahead and install the line tonight, but I wanted to sand off the rust/gunk on the inside of the reservoir. As seen in this picture:

IMG_20130328_205838.jpg

I was thinking of just using some fine sandpaper to clean the rust, using the old hose, and pumping brake fluid through the master cylinder, through the hose, into a container. Then when I get the debris out I was going to hook up the new hose to the caliper and bleed. Does this sound like the correct way to approach this? Thanks!

Weekend rider pointed you the right way http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthrea...linder+rebuild
Your system was dry that fluid got out somehow.
If you aren't willing to do a full overhaul buy a new MC.

I just did a full overhaul of my 82's MC (it was a functioning brake system) and reviewed his thread afterwards, I could not think of a single thing I would leave out or do differently. Do everything he says to do. If you are VERY cautious and careful it's possible to do the job with no parts needed but buying and using the parts from a kit is most likely the way to go. I had a kit on the bench when I started, if the kit wasn't laying there I can guarantee I would have bodged something that would have me waiting for the kit to show up. IDR if you have done the caliper but that needs doing too. Your new brake line is great! If not remove and clean all the bolts (including the ones at the bottom triple clamp fitting) and blow the lines.

I found that the source of the leak was the connection where the two hoses met. I was hoping to try the master cylinder and caliper with the new brake line before rebuilding them. Bad idea?

Last edited:
Trust me I am trying to save you time and frustration. There are countless threads of guys who did just this or that to the front brakes, then spent hours and often days trying unsuccessfully to bleed them before they gave up and did the full Monty.

shadowACE 003.JPG

Found inside the MC on the low miles inside kept 82 mentioned above. This wasn't the ugliest part. I have yet to tear down an XS650 brake system and say O heck I didn't need to do this!

The first thing I did will all my bikes when I roiled them into the garage was to remove the brake hoses and master cylinder and throw them in the trash and replaced with new, not rebuilt. The caliper is different as it is very simple and you can see everything on the inside, so you can install a caliper kit and get like new results.

When you squeeze the brake lever, you want a nice controlled stop with no drama. :yikes:

Here's a picture of the new line mocked up, it looks plenty long and could benefit from some routing. I'm thinking about trying to retrofit that existing hose clamp that attaches to the fender mount. Sorry for the blurry pictures, lighting in the garage isn't very good and it's dark when I get home from work.

IMG_20130410_220742.jpg

I'm going to order a rebuild kit and clean up the master cylinder and give it a coat of paint.

Back