My new homemade pipes!

johnnymac

1975 xs650b
Reaction score
Hi again, and thanks again for this site- Here are some pictures of my huge old pipes (ugly side were P.O. dropped not shown) and my new shiny semi-homemade pipes. I ordered those shorty pipes that we all see on ebay for about $19.95. I slapped them on and hated the sound and performance- The pipes had some sort of baffling but they were just too loud- I ground the end of them to remove the chrome and then welded on a pipe reducer- Now the fun part- I started screwing on pipes, more reducers, ect. Now I had the pipes mounted and I could screw stuff off and on and then go test ride the old XS! - Once I found a combination that sounded great and performed well (My plugs now have that light tan that I always wanted), I welded all of the fittings together- The next step was to cover the ugliness- I found some exhaust tips at the auto store for $5.00 a piece- Then welded a 2 1/4 coupling over the fittings then just slid the exhaust tips over the coupler and bolted them on- Here are the visual results-

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 330
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 304
  • closeup1.jpg
    closeup1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 300
  • closeup2.jpg
    closeup2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 295
  • closeup3.jpg
    closeup3.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 281
Do you still have the stock pipes? How bad was the other side? I might be interested in the left one (or both) if it's not too bad.

Thanks for all the comments- I can't believe how well the bike runs with these- no flat spots- and the sound is great-
Sundie- You are right- I took these pictures before I welded a mount on the pipes- there on there nice and tight now-
Scott s- The pipes are really in bad shape - The bike was uncovered outside for over 8 years- The PO downed it on the right side and 5/8th of the pipe is crushed in- The screw on fitting on the left side is stripped and there is serious rust on the inside- If I turn it over and tap on it- there is 1/4 inch thick pile of rust- I really don't think it is worth the shipping- But if you want them you could have them- I'd just have to calculate shipping from CA to SC- I think it would be quite a bit-

Thanks again for the comments-

Back