My new (to me) 81 xs650 Special

This is an '83 SK with a recovered cut down seat.
An electric carving knife works well to trim seat foam and can be found at thrift shops for a couple $. A local upholstery shop did the cover for $40.

Hey weekend, what pipes are those? they look really nice. Did they need any modifying to bike/carbs?

I had to look. Generic slash cuts with minimal baffling. They are loudish and yes the carbs were re-jetted. 1 up on the pj and 2 up on the main IIRC. That bike tends to run hotter than most and the jetting was an attempt to cool it down. IMO it was over jetted but I'm not really a tuner. You have to remove the oem hangers and use flat strap to mount them.

Skull I'm assuming the '82 is a factory advertisement?
Interesting they show the slotted rotor.

I'm late to the party.
View attachment 60284

That particular slotted rotor came on the XS1100 Specials beginning with the 1980 model. It was also on the XS1100H Venturer and the XJ1100 Maxim. As it was dimensionally correct for the XS650, it's easy to see how it could have ended up on a promotional model.

That XS650H looks awfully nice. There was one for sale near me last year. It had been painted pink. :wtf:

Yea, realize that about the rotor, but it is on an XS650 in a Yamaha Brochure. Very unusual.

I'm sure the original intent was to use that rotor as it was already in the parts bin. The bean counters removed it to improve the bottom line. That's my theory.

If you want one, I listed the bikes that have them. Don't be tempted by the XS850. That rotor has a smaller diameter.

Fleabay seat + knife + marine grade vinyl =

RxIxNgo.jpg

Smoothed out the rise but i thought you said the idea was to be able to ride 2 up. Ok carrying a female passenger but i wouldn't want to have a male passenger on that seat without a chastity belt.

Back