My PMA, my battery and my horn

NorazDad

NorazDad
Reaction score
Happy Father's Day, Dudes.
I have an 81 H that I have stripped down and rebuilt to the best of my ability. Did all the road worthy stuff like tires, suspension, brakes, cables, oil seals...including valve stem, chain, sprockets, etc. rode it for a thousand miles last year.
Over the winter, took out the starter, battery box, cleaned the carbs and I added a Pamco with EAdv, HHB PMA and I reworked the harness. By reworked I mean I cut off all of the relays and unnecessary switches. In doing so I had a lot of unnessary pig tails that I taped off. I was finally able to get my turn signals to work. I replaced both handle bar switches, tied off the power to the starter switch, soldered all of the connections and generally cleaned up the whole mess.
My first confident outing left me stranded with a dead battery. I replaced it with a lithium ion 7 ah 140CCA. This battery seems to be perfect for this bike, however it has drained while riding a number of times.
Worked Hugh and got the PMA running. Seems to be fine, except:
When I checked the AC output from the stator wires I got 11 AC volts from each of the three pair. I hope that's within specs.
When I checked the DC volts at the battery, I get 12.7-9 at idle but never more than 13.3-6 at 3200 rpm. Shouldn't I be getting 14.5?
Also, I found that when I tested voltage with my horn, the dcvolts drops to 7.6 or so and will kill the engine if I keep beeping. I disconnected the horn, did three fifteen minute runs and the battery did not discharge. The indicator on the battery also said that it was not fully charged, even though my meter said it was running at 12.7-9 and revving up to 32k it read 13.3. I am concerned that I never get to 14.5 DC Volts. Is this an inadequate battery?
Could there be a short in the horn switch, which causes a drain? Is it a grounding problem? The turn signal switch has no negative impact on voltage or the running of the engine. And my hi and lo beem work fine as well.
By the way, the Pamco is great.
Ok that's a lot. I'd appreciate any feedback specifically to this charging issue, the battery discharge, the horn or my wiring cleanup.
Thanks, Rob

Back