my prebuild thread, just getting her cleaned and ready

kidmerc

livin in"XS"
Reaction score
Well I figured I would start a "build" thread. I am currently saving up both money and parts so I can do it all at once. Thinking of a Bratstyle bike. There are so many bikes for inspiration on here. It will be a single seat bike that will have a second seat option. I am going to actually fabricate a removable seat frame and seat for the second rider(wife). no front fender, small rear one. May lower the bike in the front eventually. Stock tank for now, may switch it up later. flat black and chrome for the engine. Flat black frame, flat black tank. Not sure about the accent color, maybe burnt orange. Drag style bars, small visored headlight, custom taillight(goin to search some junkyards for something cool). remount license plate frame and turn signal lights(again something custom and cool). Lower seat frame. Relocate rear shock mounts. No chain guard. Removing stock air filters, going with pods of some sort. Rejet carbs, New carb mounts. Tear down and rebuild of motor from crankcase up. Hoping to not split the cases. Have to replace cam chain guides, I know they are shot. Done a lot of reading on here about what is mormal to replace, so gonna replace said parts. ALso going to use radio shack- chrysler trick. Relocating battery and electrics. That is all I can think of for now. Many Many pics to follow. As of now I am replacing my first parts. New coil installed and my new CLutch pushrod (one Piece) and bushing and seal will be here this week. So my first step, get this thing to stop leaking oil, lol. Took off sidecover and found....
full

You got it, at least 10 yrs of grime build up. Yes this bike has been leaking oil for that long, at least. Not fun cleaning up. Doing a minor clean for now, when I pull motor will get a total wash down and cleaning... Will let ya'll know how the first step goes. Thanks for the inspiration and for passing on all of your knowledge to those with much less. :thumbsup:

Good plan! Change that front sprocket like right now and most likely the chain. If the chain skips it gets the clutch push rod at a minimum. And loose sprockets cause leaks too.

Okie: It has, the two PO's never did anything to this bike for maintenance, just rode the dickens out of it, I am tryin to change all that.
Gary: Will do, SOmeone actually did something kinda smart though, they bent the washer behind the nut holding the sprocket so it came come totally loose, lol, that said, it will get changed too.
Suthpaw: Thanks man, I will def. be posting updates

full
[/IMG]
So here she is with a pretty good cleaning. I used the best degreaser I have found so far. It is pretty strong and seeing I was replacing the clutch seal I wasnt afraid to use it in case it ate the seal. It didnt so it appears safe to use. It is a purple jug from Advanced Auto Parts. Pic to follow. It works GREAT!!!! Had most of the oil residue off in merely minutes. Great for a major cleaning project. Anywho here is a better look at the front sprocket and chain that will be replaced soon(as per posts above). THanks for the heads up, I wouldnt have even thought to replace it.

full
[/IMG]
So last year I got mad at my bike running rough and took off the carbs and cleaned them out(will try to find the pics of what came out of them behind the screens). I knew nothing about carbs and thought what the hey, cant run much worse. After cleaning with carb cleaner and putting back together it has run 100% better. I pulled the plugs, the are BLACK and smell like fuel, so thinking it is running rich(obviously). I pulled the stock airboxes today and noticed they smelled like fuel, not real strong but still there was an odor there. Is that from the rich condition. I would assume not because it is prior to the fuel mix and shouldnt be getting fuel into the filters, but we all know what it makes when you ASS/U/ME. SO seeing I know nothing about engines, any ideas? Took this photo so I can get a good idea of what I want where and how I want the new seat to be mounted. Not sure if I will leave the frame at its current height or cut and then weld in a slightly bent section where the battery box is mounted to 1) lower ride height and 2) give some flow to the lines and make a custom curved seat to match instead of a flat seat. Not sure yet. I so want to just start tearing away but know that I only want to do something once, so patience although frustrating, is a virtue here. I will anxiosuly await my ability to buy parts and then go all out all at once. ANy help with tips on what is best to start with, how far to tear down the motor(wasn't even considering splitting the cases) and general rebuild knowledge is welcomed. This is a first try and any knowledge I can glean I will. Thanks again all..

So i did a little research on MIkes as to sprocket sizing. I want to reduce my rpm's at highway speed, I dont really care if I lose some low end torque, It's not like I am racing this thing. If I read the chart correctly a 17f/32r will achieve my goal, and to further reduce my rpm's i could go to a 17f30r. Can you go to low in the rear though?

That rich sure sounds like leaky float valves if it has stock jetting.
Oh, minor point the master link clip is on backwards, If you use one the closed end should be in the direction of travel.

So the new clutch push rod, seal and bushing came in this week. I got all the old out and tomorrow will install the new. A pretty easy job, just follow the directions on MIke's XS under the tech page and you cant go wrong. THanks to all of you for your posts as well, they allowed me to attempt something I would have otherwise paid someone else to do. Still collecting parts so will post more when I get to the good stuff, like cutting and welding and etc...

Make sure you are wearing gloves or trying to minimise your skin contact when doing degreasing.....BTW your chain masterlink clip is on backwards too.....

Cheers.

Where did you get the "Super Clean"? It's a smart thing you are doing, getting it cleaned up. A lot of folks tear them all apart and then have a bunch of greasy dirty crap to deal with while trying to tear down the motor etc.

John

full
[/IMG]
If you need to degrease, this is your cleaner!!!! It works AWESOME

HELL YA BUDDY! I use that stuff all the time....in my experience, it even gets rid of the "spilled oil clouds" left on concrete!

Hooktool, I have been able to get it at Walmart, in the automotive area for $8 a gallon.

Awesome stuff!.....just don't get any on yer skin.

Where did you get the "Super Clean"? It's a smart thing you are doing, getting it cleaned up. A lot of folks tear them all apart and then have a bunch of greasy dirty crap to deal with while trying to tear down the motor etc.

John

Hi John, I got it at advance auto, I think Napa may have it as well.:thumbsup:

Make sure you are wearing gloves or trying to minimise your skin contact when doing degreasing.....BTW your chain masterlink clip is on backwards too.....

Cheers.

Yeah that stuff will tear up some skin. Yeah I found out in a previous post that the link was backwards, I think a P.O. didnt know what they were doing there. I am actually going to replace the sprockets and the chain. Thanks for the heads up though!

Put some work into the ol gal tonight. Did some more teardown and removed and tore down the carbs. Here are some photos. Let me know what you see and how bad what you see is.
full

Back