My rebuild...Stay tuned!

Ohh I gotcha

I do need to change the countershaft seal so I might barrow that from you.

I'll should be able to swing by the station on thursday afternoon, if that works out for you.( you said you're on duty then, right?)

.cheftay

Last edited:
Hey Everyone!

Latest update is, I'm rebuilding my wheels and I got the wobble! :yikes:

I've never rebuilt wheels before so this is knew stuff to me..

Here's some pics:

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Also, My frame should be back from the powder coating place in a couple days so i'm super stoked about that!

Thanks for posting!

cheftay

I'm watching you old buddy .....You do realize if yours comes out well you are going to have to help me do mine? What spokes did you finally decide to use and how much? I've almost got my rear wheel all polished up.
rearwheel.jpg

Hahah, im finding that its not hard at all it just takes precision and a lot of time!
I think I have the front wheel done already though.

I went with the stainless steel spokes from mikes( $59 a set I believe) and they look really nice! Way better than mine would have looked if I had polished them and re-used.

Your wheel is looking really nice also pumps

Looks like your doing a good job. I can tell by you posts that the bug has got you. Just take you time and do it right. Your on the right path. Are you taking the lower end apart or just the upper. During my rebuild, I replaced the clutch rod seal. However I noticed runout on the rod. About .015. Removed the seal and found that the hole for the bushing was drilled offset in the main shaft. The seal would never last with that much runout. We pressed in some bearing material and machined it in a lath. Keep us posted on your progress. Here's a picture of how I mounted the crankcase valves on the XS2. I did use the ones from Mikes but modified them so they would tuck in behind the down tube. There is one on each side.

Attachments

• XS2 188.jpg
    XS2 188.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 207
oh that looks like a really nice way to attach those.
I want to have it all put together by the time the weather here in kansas warms up so i'm going to do as little as i can to the bottom end. I'm upgraded the pushrod however to the single long one from mikes...

I've got my wheel mostly done, But i'm going to take them to a shop and have them make sure that i've done it right.
And yeah pumps, I got my rims and hubs looking pretty nice!

thanks!

cheftay

Okay guys!

After I got my wheels somewhat trued, I took them into Cyclops Cylce to have them double checked and aparently I did them wrong so I had them do it for me and mount my tires while they were at it($120 for all of that)

I got my frame back for the shop a couple days ago and it looks pretty sick! I'll post up some picture as soon as I can take some good ones..

I'm gonna try to get the races of mikes tapered steering head bearings in later tonight hopefully.

Getting the bearing on the steering head. I was petrified of popping one of those bearings out of there. I used a piece of pvc to do it, but still I have a habit of breaking things. I was so happy whenever I finished that I took a pic of the bearing in place.

Also I was terrified of the races going in slightly crooked and f'ing them up.

Bigjimmy I used one of the old races to beat on to guide the new ones in.

Taylor, what was it that you did wrong when you re-spoked?

Last edited:
As did I. The bottom one was just awkward as I had already started assembly whenever I chose to do that upgrade. Like I said no matter whether I used the old race or not. I was just afraid of jamming it into the neck and damaging the race or the neck.

:laugh: you guys sure make me feel comfortable putting them in!

Pumps I guess that spokes are supposed to come with a special lubricant that you put on each nipple and threaded end of the spokes but mine didn't come with any for some reason. The guy at cyclops said that, had I rode with them like that, they would have friction welded together and been impossible to screw off the nipples.

It looks like i'm not going to get those races put in tonight... I got all my parts back to my parents house and found that between my moms projects and my little brothers dinking around, that my work shop is in shambles.... :mad:.... I just need a barn that no one is allowed into except for me.

oh well.. gotta love em for it :)

cheftay

Back