My rebuild...Stay tuned!

- i made one ot these to put my races in...just a short length of threaded rod with large washers...for the bottom race i used the ones i took out to pack the new one as my washers were too wide to push them all the way in...no hammer, no problem-just made sure they were locating properly in the neck before tightening the nuts

PA220018.jpg

So I took the head off of my engine today after I cleaned up my workshop and here's some pictures. I still need to take the cam out, so I'm going to need a chain riveter I think... hopefully I'll have that done in the next two weeks.

DSC00365.jpg

DSC00364.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

DSC00367.jpg

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00369.jpg

DSC00370.jpg

Let me know if everything looks okay in there.

Thanks!

Taylor

- unless youre going to replace the cam chain, simply slide the bearings off the ends of the cam, you can then lift the chain off the cam intact

- hook the chain back however so you dont drop it into the case

Oh sweet! that saves me a lot of hassle because my chain looks to be fine still.

I cleaned up all that nasty of gasket sealer that you see in the first picture... Is there any special kind of stuff I need to use when I put it back on?

Possibly you could think about doing the elephants foot mod while you have it down this far. If you are not familiar , that is where you swap out the stock valve adjusters which often get pitted where they contact the valve stem, for ones that have a larger contact surface ..At best check them to see if the old ones are pitted. :bike:

"By undoing the Cam Chain tensioner you can get enough slack to lift the cam chain off it's sprocket with out having to break the chain. You can then slide the 4 bearing sleeves off the cam shaft and pull the shaft out from under the chain. Be careful not to drop the chain in to the engine as retreival could mean pulling the entire engine apart!"

- these were large foot valve adjusters originally used in 911 porsche motors, the feet are flexible and afford a larger contact area with the valve stem, generally require modification of the rocker and cant be installed while the rockers are in place

a20791a124c368b2844eb0_m.png

file.php

- also used are the ball foot adjusters found in mazda 808 motors...require 4mm taken off the bottom of the rocker
swivelfeet.gif

- these dont require any modification, original to the right

file.php

...from xs650 insider
000738.gif

...from kedo #50163

Very interesting inxs...hadn't seen those before. Looks like a good thing. About $48 a pair USD before shipping. Do you know of anyone who has used them? The kedo site says for SR500s and XTs but those will work on an XS650?:D

- sure, no problem, ive got them in my SR500 and the XS650s, i looked at getting some from the club insider but i already had the kedo ones

I'll check out mine tomorrow afternoon. What happens if the stock ones are pitted?

Also, Would it be a good idea to strip my engine down further and replace the head gasket now that I have it this far... Or should the head gasket be fine since I only took of the top of the engine?

Chef, the head gasket is a 50-50 shot. If you don't lift the head off it's possible that it hasn't moved, but if it did, it could leak oil or compression, or both.
On the rocker adjuster's, mine are 4 mm. Much easier than the stock square type.

Yep John the Kedo's look like big nice! Thanks inxs!

Gordon I don't think I displaced the gasket at all when I took the top off so that should be good...( I hope!) Much rather not do anything with the head until next winter... only 12,000 miles so I wouldn't think there is much that it could need anyway.

Chance's are you will be allright by not changing the gasket. But there is allways that chance. Just thought you should know. If it was me, I would probably leave it & see what, if anything, happens. Hey, if it doe's leak, you got something to do next winter, right? :shrug:

That is the truth... It's always good to have something to look forward to also. Thanks for the advice!

Back