My rockabilly brat build

20121020170154342.jpg

Removed stock air boxes. Added pods. Removed tach.

redtail leather. It used to have some really cool marbling. But that mostly came off. its a pretty hard seat... but it fits me in all the right spots so I think its comfy enough for an hour plus.

can you please put up some photos on how you painted the carbs? or even a bit more info?

cheers

ps bike looks good

http://oldskoolcarbs.com/ says
"A variety of cleaning technologies are used including ultrasonic cleaners, media blasting, pressurized air and solvents systems together with many types of hand operations in cleaning and polishing for smooth and rapid movement of components for faster and better throttle response."

And,

"If painted, metal etching primers, ceramic coatings and oven curing are employed. All hardware is polished and clear coated. Carburetors are then re-assembled with new stainless steel socket head bolts, inspected and synchronized via bench testing."

Pictures at http://s591.beta.photobucket.com/user/wildmanv65/library/2 sets xs650

Last edited:
Sorry; duplicate post. I blame the touchscreen...

Last edited:
Painting the carbs was very easy. remove carbs.. send to old skool. hahaha.

Seriously thought... its well worth the money. The bike is soooo much different now. Smoother. Feels more powerful. Revs better, more responsive etc etc etc.

build update: There is trouble in paradise. ill add a note that it takes a little bit for the new carbs to settle back into running well. I figure they needed to get some gas goo on them to slide around better internally i.e. metal to metal points hanging up etc... (just a uneducated hunch). I do have one last issue related to it sporadically dying when pulling away from a stop. I need to sort that out.

When it rains.. it pours and I had a bunch of issues all hit at once. I changed the oil to rotella based on various threads and now its leaking very badly out of the head gasket. The battery repeatedly dies. The idle is really high all the time. Gas is leaking out of both fuel petcocks. I cross threaded the exhaust stud into the head.... soooo time to get dirty.

I bought some new metal washers to replace the rubber ones under the 8 large bolts. Ill try that to stop the leak. Im going to put the brake booster check on the vent as well. I also plan to go back to 20w50 oil.

Im repeatedly posting this pic of the brake booster check valve in appropriate threads so its easier for newbies like me to find at the autoparts stores. Thanks to 5twins for posting it originally.

Power brake booster check valve
PowerBrakeCheckValve.jpg

I got new brushes for the charging system. Ill see if that works.

I discovered that the idle was high because of an air leak associated with the rubber carb mount. The phillips screws that tighten the carb mount are buggered up so I will try to find some bolts to replace them. I hate phillips screw heads.

I bought petcock rebuild kits to stop the leaking.

So... we shall see.

Last edited:
This might be the charging issue. I wont know until I get my new battery box installed under the bike. The front brush is definitely shorter than 1/4"

1353158307988.jpg

New brass cylinder head washers. Oddly enough the center nuts already had brass washers. The outer ones were still rubber. Also odd was that the front two center nuts had double stacked washers. The rubber washers were a pain to remove. they had melted or otherwise been driven down into the stud holes. I had to pick them out with some needle nose jewelers pliers. Im glad the center ones were already brass. That would have been a serious pain.

I opted to completely remove the nuts one at a time and then re-torque them to 75% before moving on to the next one. Then I went back and snugged them all. I will admit Im nervous about restarting it. ive never done any sort of motor work so visions of it blowing up or otherwise destroying itself are heavy on my mind. I torqued it once left it alone. Ill do it again in the morning. Ill also try to let it run until warm and do it again.

20121117094128508.jpg

Finish the job and do the seat loop. It's too high!

Posted via Mobile

Agreed. The first step is to move the battery and relocate all the electronics. Then I will angle the seat rail down. :wink2:

I plan to drop it enough so that the top of the seat back is even with where the current seat rail is.... about 2" or so. I will have to feel that out since Im 6'2" with long legs. I dont want my knees to hit me in the face when going over a bump. :bike:

so... the motor started fine. I let it idle for about 20 minutes to to make sure I didnt warp or otherwise destroy something. There was zero oil leak until I ran it hard for about 45 minutes. Then there was an explosion of oil in the same place. I went from zero oil to almost a tablespoon dumping all over the side of the engine. Im not sure where it came from. It doesnt appear to have come from the head gasket. Its almost looks like it came from the front of the motor and blew backwards to rest in that same sport. Very annoying.

I took the engine out. Its being sent to Hugh for some 750 rephased goodness.

20130112083224899.jpg

Motor is filthy. I think I will cut a slot in the engine casing so you can see the chain when I get it back.

20130112083237294j.jpg

Last edited:
Back