My sad story, advice needed...

My friend has town and country (manvan). I borrowed it to go to St. Louis and loved it. It has 185000 on it and runs like a champ. He hasn't had any huge issues with it just go brakes and little things. And congratulations on the little one.

If ya can find an old Volkswagen van for a good price, get it. That engine is so like a motorcycle engine (not horribly complicated & pretty straight forward) & I had a friend once that swore he could swap engines in it in less than three hours--know what, he could.

I love the VW bus, also. But, I'm not sure if it's the right family vehicle. Just like our xs's, the vw needs its fair share of regular attention ("needs attention" is not the fun kind of wrenching when you need to be somewhere with a car full of kids)

That said, they're quite simple. I've heard of vw engine changing competitions, the same way V8 guys have spark plug changing contests. Who has the fastest time type deal, head to head heats at swap meets. The story I heard; car running, remove engine, roll it on a four wheel dolly around a cone twenty feet away, install engine, start car. 7 minutes. The pre-67 VWs are some of my favorite cars. But, I've only ever driven one as a daily driver when I didn't even really need a daily driver.

Yeah, but look--I had ta fix so many things whenever I was younger that I got fed up w/ it: I've killed quite a few bikes in my life & let several cars get repo-ed just because I came ta view 'em as disposable (in a lot of ways it was right)--I'd kill a bike then sit around for a couple months until I had some cash flow & go get another & terrorize the streets until it died. Thinking back on that I realize I could have done a few things differently; for instance, if I'd been real sold on a few of the bikes or, at least had an idea of what/where I was going/wanted, I could have fixed 'em or taken better care of 'em along the way & the same can be said of an old car; there's more to it these days because they aren't a dime a dozen any more, plus ya've got a little bit more flow ta keep it right than ya did. Well running 4 cylinder air cooled engine w/ proper maintenance can get 6 digits on the odometer easily--ya know--its time ta quit livin' as if you're 17 yrs old, bashful, awkward, & poor (might not be rich but I bet the last time ya drove your friends around ya didn't pass the collection plate--even if ya thought about it or did--ta get gas for the night's rendezvous', now did ya?, & if ya did, well hell, someday ya might not need ta). What I'm sayin' is those old cars are becomin' a luxury these days & half the time reasons many of us ever let 'em go was for one reason or another but, guaranteed, these days that old automobile is a little easier & less intimidating than it once was. They made it for yrs man w/ little & nothing--they'd do it again, especially if they can get a little more than they ever had.

VW bus has a cult following and so they are priced way above what they are worth. It's good thing it's easy to take the motor out on accounta your gonna have to - often. They are notorious valve droppers.

I would say that it is the least dependable vehicle ever made if used on the Interstates.

I'd kinda like to have one though.

VW bus has a cult following and so they are priced way above what they are worth. It's good thing it's easy to take the motor out on accounta your gonna have to - often. They are notorious valve droppers.

I would say that it is the least dependable vehicle ever made if used on the Interstates.

Very true. They were designed for much slower speeds than they are commonly driven on modern Interstate highways. Even when brand new the VW vans struggled with grades and head winds that even the drivers of much heavier inline 6 cylinder vans wouldn't even notice. This required the VW drivers to downshift and run the engines at very high RPM for extended periods of time-- a surefire way to drop a valve. But, the alternative was to lug the engine and burn up the valves so they were screwed either way.

A friend I grew up with started a mobile VW repair business when he returned home from Vietnam until he earned enough money to buy a shop building. I watched him pull the engine and transaxle from my visiting brother-in-law's VW van, replace the clutch assembly, reinstall everything and get my brother-in-law off my sofa in under an hour. Best loan I never got paid back.

I haven't seen my brother-in-law or his sister in over 25 years. Every time I run into my old friend I thank him for fixing that van and getting that worthless POS out of my house.

I had a 1970 with disc front brakes and 1600 cc. It had 3.88 gears and could drive 65 all day. I put close to 100,000 on a new engine. If you re-wire and sort out the carb it is very dependable. No air conditioning.

Back