My trip to Hugh's HandBuilt - Asheville, NC

BigJimmyW13

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
As some of you have noticed, I have been away for awhile. Since some emailed me fearing the worst; I'm alive! Now you know!

However, what you don't know is that in the next hour I'm going to start a 950mi drive from Dallas to Asheville, NC to visit Hugh's Handbuilt and I will try and document the trip to the best of my ability. Now most of you already know who Hugh is. Those of you who do not... Well look up punkskalar on here and read his posts. Hugh and his wife Courtney will be gracious (hopefully) hosts whenever I finally do arrive in Asheville. I will be making this journey in my V8 expedition (13mpg) in 100 degree heat with no AC. I'm running on zero sleep for the night and less than 5 for the past 2 days.... This is just my prelude to what is to come in this trip!

There should be plenty of photos (think spy photos for all of you who are copying his products) and I am actually going to attempt to not drink so much that I won't be able to sit down and type something out about our daily adventures and how a hardworking small business owner like Hugh survives in America these days.

More to come,
Jimmy

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
Well I did my brotherhood good deed for the morning. I helped a guy cut his travel bag out of his rear fender. He said it locked up on him at 70mph. I'll post pics of the leftovers of the bag later. I followed him fir a bit and then he waved me on.

Posted via Mobile

Sounds like this trip is really starting off in the right spirit of things... I did the same with a work jacket a few years back on the Big Mountain Run... Locked up the rear tire at about 70 MPH... That was a wild ride!

FH000006.jpg

Wow, this sounds like quite an adventure. Maybe you should have taken your motorcycle...............would have gotten at least 4 times the fuel mileage. Drink lots of water and have fun!

Wow, this sounds like quite an adventure. Maybe you should have taken your motorcycle...............would have gotten at least 4 times the fuel mileage. Drink lots of water and have fun!

I don't trust it to go that far right now, but it is on the trailer behind me... :D

I'm in my truck bc I needed to haul stuff to IL after my detour, then to bring my dogs back to TX with me when I head back.

Posted via Mobile

Ha BigJimmy, we gotta get together sometime after my bike is built. I'm down around Trenton a lot due to a friend...ahem with benefits and originally from Arcola, IL. Good luck on the trip!

ETA: And for those of you that don't know, Alton, IL is seriously one of the most haunted towns in America....no joke.

Back