My XS...

Pennies Earned

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is how she looked when I purchased her

DSC_0001.jpg

On my way to an amateur restoration. Most everything should end up being year appropriate except for the color and handlebars.

motorsickle006.jpg

Well I'm using a friends shop and those 2 bottles are syrup for coffee or italian sodas or what have yous. A bottle of whiskey is definitely in store for the near future... as long as my bike is in there

Just dropped off the tank, side covers, headlight bucket, and fork ears to be powder coated. Update in a week and a half.

Last edited:
- interesting question-good spotting...footpeg loops, gauges, single disc give it away:thumbsup:...i think the only difference between the TXA and XSB was the paint and year of production

- not original on the first pic...extended forks, seat, exhaust-original will be very expensive, tank doesnt look right-looks too big-but could be the paint job, dont really know what the fittings in the north american market were but the headlight doesnt look right either

It is an xs650b model. I have the original seat and forks now. Exhaust will have to wait. I believe the tank is original--definitely looks a little bit bigger in that pic but I believe that its the paint and it being raised a little with the extended forks. Good question on the headlight. Anyway to determine if it is the original one? I don't have the headlight bucket in my possession right now but I think it was stamped yamaha on the back, had 3 holes for wiring to go into, headlight adjuster on bottom, and an indentation for the steering tube?

Pennies Earned, the gauges gave it away and the gas cap position, only came out on the TXA and XSB. headlight looks normal the silver paint makes the tank and light brackets dwarf the light bucket

I agree. The silver paint doesn't really look right for some reason....got another color going on as we speak. Gonna be a candy teal color :D

- ah the wiring, yea mate thats always a problem-and changes for the same model depending on which market they were sold into

do you know if the wiring was different from country to country on the early XS's. The only diagrams that i have seen are American, especially the Specials from 80 on where some of us (Aus) continued with points and some, (US), have the TCI

So the candy teal color turned out to be a little bit over my original budget....so I have decided to powder coat her black to match the original color. The original decals should be at my door very soon. Update when I get the parts back

just received the European handlebars from mikesxs and cleaned up the front wheel a little bit. Nothing fancy but the bike is getting closer and closer to completion.
handlebars002.jpg

handlebars004.jpg

Back