XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
ok so what have I left out now dammit :doh:

Attachments

• mystery gasket.JPG
    mystery gasket.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 120
That appears to be the gasket for the cover of the side oil filter. Rarely needs changing. Yes, put a new one in to start but then you should get years of service out of it.

thank god for that ! I couldn't see a place for it so assumed that it should have gone in the crankcase somewhere .:banghead:

Take that little round oil filter cover off and you'll see it. There's also a small pear or kidney shaped gasket that fits under the little filter element. Same deal with that one - you rarely change it. Start with a new one during your rebuild and then just forget about it for 5 or 6 years.

Don't use sealer. A bit of grease on both sides or anti seize. Even oil. Don't want it stuck in there.
Leo

Yes, no sealer, just oil or grease. I oil mine. Just checked my log and those gaskets have been in there 5 years, still leak-free and holding up fine.

Take that little round oil filter cover off and you'll see it. There's also a small pear or kidney shaped gasket that fits under the little filter element. Same deal with that one - you rarely change it. Start with a new one during your rebuild and then just forget about it for 5 or 6 years.

yes I recognised the crescent shaped gasket from its shape but the oil filter cover is being polished so its not to hand. funnily enough the filter was the next part to be fitted tomorrow. :laugh:

Don't use sealer. A bit of grease on both sides or anti seize. Even oil. Don't want it stuck in there.
Leo

thanks for the tip ! I have probably been a bit liberal with the threebond but I dread having a load of oil leaks when I've finished as a lot of the obvious places are prety inaccessible once the engine is in the frame.

Back