mystery motor opinions?

the problem with my oven was too much heat was escaping due to the door not closing so i debated on this and said to hell with it and looks like i came out on top?

slightly dirty, mainly just gunky oil, no hard debris tho! surprisingly way better than i expected, only because i was judging by the outside haha

gonna call it a night after that stress, gonna pull everything out tomorrow and start detail cleaning and inspecting. looks like i will need new rods tho, any suggestions for that?

ironically i was just surfing ebay and looking at those, and yeah it the brass on the small end im not sold on. Lookin at 80 bucks for that plus 60 for shipping, since my crank is good im wonderin if i should just get new rods from mikesxs for that price?

Mike's rods with bearings and pins is $87 each. Replacing them, if you have the right tools can be a days work.
Rebuilding a crank isn't real hard to do but it takes a 20 ton hydralic press and special tooling to hold the crank and rods.
I have done two. Truing is the real work.
Get the good crank, keep yours and have Hugh rephase it while he replaces the rods.
Leo

Mike's rods with bearings and pins is $87 each. Replacing them, if you have the right tools can be a days work.
Rebuilding a crank isn't real hard to do but it takes a 20 ton hydralic press and special tooling to hold the crank and rods.
I have done two. Truing is the real work.
Get the good crank, keep yours and have Hugh rephase it while he replaces the rods.
Leo
those were my thoughts too on this.
marvin Delac at wiseguys choppers in marysville specializes in 650 parts. he can probably show you a crank assembly so you can see it, and feel the bearings in person before you buy it. Thats were I got mine. it was before he opened the shop, so his prices maybe more than what i paid four years ago. aslo take your rotor, and stator, regulator, rectifier and see if he will show u how to test them. I have a rotor puller if you need to borrow it. i can drop it off sometime next week if you want.

Wait so does wiseguys sell whole assemblies with crank and rods? or are you saying just buy the one off ebay? The whole rephasing the motor seems like an awesome idea that i might do for another build but im just keepin it simple and cheap on this one... hopefully lol
i dont have a 20ton press so i would have to have a shop do that if i went the new rod route.

Also need to buy a rotor and stator so if anyone in the area has some extras ill buy em!

They may have some for sale.
Search Ebay for XS650 crank shaft, they start at $39 and go up from there. Ask lots of question, look at all the pics. Avoid rust.
Leo

Wait so does wiseguys sell whole assemblies with crank and rods? or are you saying just buy the one off ebay? The whole rephasing the motor seems like an awesome idea that i might do for another build but im just keepin it simple and cheap on this one... hopefully lol
i dont have a 20ton press so i would have to have a shop do that if i went the new rod route.

Also need to buy a rotor and stator so if anyone in the area has some extras ill buy em!
well.... when i bought mine from marvin, it was all four bearings, rods, everything, just like that link i put up there. He may separate them now. it was like four/five years a go. He had some on ebey a while ago, and i tried to find one complete one, but no find.

hells yeah. take those electrical stuffs with you, maybe they can test em, or show you how. It says how in the manual, but theres nothin like hands on training.

Back