Mystery oil leak....

FastColt

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well if its not one thing its the other....finally get the bike registered, legit and running good. Now i have an oil leak and i cant figure out why the hell its leaking from. It appears to be coming from the inside of the front sprocket crank. Is this even possible??? Both the main seal and the push rod seal i replaced 3 weeks ago so i know there good. and they both appear dry. the oil looks like it runs out of the sprocket crank shaft, then onto the sprocket, then onto my chain then all over my mother freaking clean white walls!!!! Please help, im stummed.

2011-10-06_16-40-23_736.jpg

2011-10-06_16-40-11_996.jpg

2011-10-06_16-40-02_304.jpg

They leak if the torque isn't correct. Which happens some have reported finding the sprocket nut only finger tight. How this happens with the locktab I dunno but it does.

pack heavy grease into the splines where they go thru that bushing, and sprocket needed to be correct torque (tight)

Ill double check it when I get home. Any one know the correct torque for that nut? Or where it can be found.

I was instructed to use 13 Kg-m or 94 ft/lbs. Our 5twins, as I recall, once told me that the values changed several times, but if you use values lower than these, leaks still are possible. Chock your rear wheel in such a way that it cannot rotate, and have someone hold the bike if need be. That's a fair amount of torque.

TC

Back