Name that metal chunk...

Chito

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So... my bike motor needed some work. With no money in the budget, I decided to throw in a spare motor I had. I didn't know anything about it, except someone wasn't such a good painter. Valves were gapped correctly and still are. I went on a test ride and things were going great, until I went to pass a car. I hit the gas and it slipped out of gear, causing it to rev hard. Then it started pinging. Found this on my exhaust valve spring. Seems like a chunk of aluminum? Any ideas what happened?

Attachments

• 20170828_193421.jpg
    20170828_193421.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 234
Nope. Still starts great. Pings/clangs though. Sounds like it did when I had an exhaust leak a couple of years ago. A little down on power.

I see the tappet adjuster and the area where the broken piece came from..............That rattle may be the nut cruising around the head

NoooOOooOooOoo! Funny I thought, that looks funny, oh there's where the chunk came from... then I forgot about it. Man. This bike has been killing me lately and I'm getting sloppy.

Yup, 2M wins the hidden pieces contest............

Well, thanks for playing guys. I think I should probably check all the bolts on this motor. I checked the gaps, but it didn't occur to me to check to make sure the lock nut was tight. I've found a few missing parts and finger tight bolts too.

Back