NASCAR, That's Adorable

Most of us don't go out for a bike ride in the rain.

:laugh:
I see a whole lot of these "tough guy" bikers not riding in the rain on their crazy, mean rat bikes all the time. I wonder why? I ride my Yamaha in the rain. LMAO
I know guys with crazy ass cars, but are too damn scared to drive them in the rain. I love the excuse, "It's got to much power". Ya right, it's 'cuz you can't drive it. Hell, they don't even take it to the track for that matter. 700hp, wannabe drag car that sits in the garage or goes to a show, but isn't used for what it was built for. "700hp, 2 stage, drag radials, blah, blah, blah". Just go wax it and shut up.

I don't watch NASCAR that much, but it does have a hell of a following.

Last edited:
WOW! I had no idea that picture would cause such a stir. It's my buddy at work who sent me the picture who doesn't like NASCAR. I'm not a huge fan, but I have to admit, I did go to a race a few of years ago and liked it. It's just the gear-head in me, the roaring of the engines, and the engineering that goes into those cars is impressive.

Maybe, maybe not. How many get delayed to dry the track?
You want to see real racing, watch the WRC.
Leo

WRC and F1 for me, please. Nothing else is quite so intense. 100% focus at all times.

I went through a lot to get Speedvision just so I could watch WRC, since I was East Coast I had to stay up till damn near midnight to see the coverage of the day's stages. Then Fox bought Speedvision, changed it to SPEED and put some NA$CAR loving jackwad in charge, he ruined it: dumped most bike coverage, canceled F1 and WRC coverage, no more BTCC (British Touring Car Championship, now THAT is intense wheel to wheel racing!). I wasn't the only one who thought so, Dave Despain (Wind Tunnel) complained so loudly on air that he nearly lost his job.

pregrid's right, SPEED now covers F1 and they beefed up their bike coverage a few years back. But for a good while they didn't and I get really sick of Barrett Jackson. If you want WRC you have to do streaming video or Versus sometimes covers it.

How many NASCAR drivers does it take to start a jet fuel fire?

Only Juan. :D

Speaking of Juan, if F1 is the best (and I like it fine) why did he go to NASCAR only to have his ass kicked week in and week out? Maybe he was tired of driving in the rain?

I like racing, some more than others. I love MotoGP best of all, and in person flat track racing second. So what? Hell, I like speed skating. :)

I don't understand the need to be critical of what others like in a small minded way, that's all. The bottom line is ALL big time, and most small time racing is like it is because of $$$$.

John

I thought it was a hoot when montoya ran into track dryer and burst into flames.They took a long time putting out the fire. Nice piece of driving Juan. :D:D

I went through a lot to get Speedvision just so I could watch WRC, since I was East Coast I had to stay up till damn near midnight to see the coverage of the day's stages. Then Fox bought Speedvision, changed it to SPEED and put some NA$CAR loving jackwad in charge, he ruined it: dumped most bike coverage, canceled F1 and WRC coverage, no more BTCC (British Touring Car Championship, now THAT is intense wheel to wheel racing!). I wasn't the only one who thought so, Dave Despain (Wind Tunnel) complained so loudly on air that he nearly lost his job.

^^^or DTM for that matter. It does suck that WRC got shit canned as there's nothing quite like it.... unless you count the short track Xgames rally circus or whatever the hell they call it. :D

What I like about NASCAR is that the average guy can go watch a race at the track. You get to get right up into it. You don't have to only watch it on tv or fly to Madrid, or the other tracks around the world that are completely inaccessible to most everyone. You can pay to go sit right against the track, ears bleeding from the noise, smell the tires and fresh paint. You get to walk through the crowds, buy all the junk you want and you can bring your own beer into the stands. You live the experience.
I go to go-kart racing a bunch at the many local tracks here. Flat track and dirt track too. But I can't watch it for too long on tv, not enough meat. I've met and talked to many drivers from NASCAR, dirt track, NHRA, met riders from AMA supercross/motocross, and a couple other sports. You don't get that on TV.
I love anything with an engine. We have pro lawn mower racing here too that I go watch. I'll never knock any racing. Baseball, well that's another story.
I got my nachos covered in burned rubber during a wreck at Dover. Now that is when you know you are at a race, not just watching it.

EDIT: I just looked at Speed's website and it has all kinds of racing schedules. V8 supercars, F1, LeMans, ect. I was watching a repeat of German Touring cars a week or so ago.

Last edited:
Yeah, SPEED now shows a lot of other stuff the way Speedvision did, and they are finally showing 'Victory by Design' again which is one of the best 'marque' series out there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_by_Design http://www.speedtv.com/programs/victory-by-design/

But there was a period where if it wasn't NA$CAR it wasn't shown. There was a LOT of complaining on SPEED's forums about the lack of other coverage (I should know, I spent a fair amount of time bitching there as well) and the head honcho posted in a sticky that NA$CAR was the #1 motorsport in the US, thus would preempt other stuff. He said it nicely but man did that ever touch off a firestorm.

I thought it was a hoot when montoya ran into track dryer and burst into flames.They took a long time putting out the fire. Nice piece of driving Juan. :D:D

You,sir, are one sick puppy. You thought it was a hoot? Could have easily killed the driver of the truck (yeah, that's funny), Juan could have burned to death (that's REALLY funny). If you look at the replay you can easily see something broke on the car's suspension and at that point he was just a passenger. Sorry, couldn't let that one go!

The fact that no one got hurt was a good thing.I wouldn't have wanted to see anyone hurt. I'am not that sick. The whole incident could have been avoided if montoya had not slamed on brakes and lost control he made a big mistake there was time to slow the car. Bad driving not a broken part caused it. There was no good reason for him to be going that fast in the first place the asshole. :thumbsup:

Hey Pregrid---Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience---tim

About JPM walking away from that one: I have driven Winston Cup cars twice, once with the Buck Baker school and then with the Richard Petty version. I've built a cage or three in my time, when I plopped down in the seat and took a look around I saw immediately that those cars are WAY overbuilt. One thing NA$CAR definitely understands is safety. That's why I am not really surprised at things like Danica Patrick walking away from that Sprint crash, or any of the other crazy looking crash stuff that the news likes to show forty eleventeen times an hour.

Back